Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Paragraph contest  (Read 10651 times)

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
Re: Paragraph contest
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »
Oh my goodness!  Thank you.  Gosh I think it is harder to think of a starting sentence!!!

Ok here it is - - - -

It would happen at the family traditional Thanksgiving dinner, he/she decided.
Here's to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 10:41:05 PM »
It would happen at the family traditional Thanksgiving dinner, she decided. This was HER year. She clutched her favorite board game to her chest and vowed that this time THIS TIME would be different. This time they WOULD play with her instead of watching the boring football game ALL DAY LONG! ...she sighed as she watched her turkey stuffed family sit bleary eyed in front of the TV. I guess I'll go and get my book out and spend the next six hours or so reading. Again. ...then the most beautiful thing happened. The polar vortex roared into town and the power suddenly cut off. She smiled widely in the dark listening to the cries and curses and calls for candles from her distraught loved ones. It's a Thanksgiving miracle, she whispered with happy tears in her eyes.

_ -SNOWGLOBE _Rainbow_ -SNOWGLOBE

Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
It would happen at the family traditional Thanksgiving dinner she decided.  It would not be easy but she was determined to tell them.  They had asked the same questions for the last several years since she had turned twenty.  "Have you met a nice man?"  "Don't you think it is about time to settle down and have a family?"  "When are you going to give us a grandchild or great grandchild?"  She was the only child of her parents and they were also only children.  Both set of her grandparents always had Thanksgiving with her family.  She was tired of all the pressure they had put her through and she finally was going to tell them that she didn't want the life they planned for her.  She would tell them her plans to enter a convent and become a nun. 
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 12:48:16 AM »
It would happen at the family traditional Thanksgiving dinner he decided. No more lurking around the perimeters of the kitchen, no more sweeping the floor for fallen bits and scraps, no more sneaking under the table to find the kids with brussels sprouts in their hands that they wanted to get rid of. This year he was going to make his move. When that turkey platter came out, he was going to demand his fair share--  aarooooo!...he deserved it. Grrrr....arf!

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »
And the winner of this weeks paragraph contest is . . . . . .

I love them all!!!  Outtie somehow I think this might have had a bit of a personal touch???  Snowbird I hope my asking my daughter that every year doesn't make her join a convent!!!  and Ponytail my furbabies love brussel sprouts!

It is so hard to choose but I think the winner this week is Outlast!!!  Congratulations!

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
Thank you Trouble. I'm glad you liked it (and that I do in fact have two cousins who like to play games on Thanksgiving). :88:

The package was waiting for me when I came home. Though it was addressed to me, something seemed off. For starters, it was covered in __blank__ and it was postmarked ___pick any date from the distant past___

That's right TWO blanks to fill in this time. Outtie variation 2.0 ...sorry I think I may be turning this awesome game into Madlibs. Which can also be awesome. :043:

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »
The package was waiting for me when I came home. Though it was addressed to me, something seemed off. For starters, it was covered in newspaper and it was postmarked Dec. 7, 1960.  The town on the return addressed seemed familiar but there was no name included.  What significance was that town to me?  Was it a place from my past that I had forgotten about?  At my age that was a possibility.  I tore the newspaper wrapping from the package and found a small box inside of a larger one.  I opened the little box and there to my astonishment was a ring with a note.  I read the note with trembling hands as it was coming back to me.  "Will you marry me?" it said and was signed by the man I always thought had jilted me.  Now I understood.  I had failed to acknowledge his ring and he thought the same thing.  How different would my life have been if only it had not been lost in the mail all this time? 
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »
The package was waiting for me when I came home. Though it was addressed to me, something seemed off. For starters, it was covered in crude hieroglyphs and it was postmarked 30 B.C. ...this had to be a joke right? For starters the post office didn't even exist back then and even if it did I'm pretty sure they weren't putting 'B.C.' on their packages. What can I say? I can't resist a mystery, so I opened the package. Inside I found a (rubber) adder, an ancient curse against those who open sacred packages, a black wig, some kind of linen toga... and a note from my kooky sister inviting me to her Egyptian themed murder/mystery dinner.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »
The package was waiting for me when I came home. Though it was addressed to me, something seemed off. For starters, it was covered in a strange goldish paper that twinkled and it was postmarked December 24, 1843.  The year was so off putting because the wrappings looked too futuristic to have had glitter.  The present is boring enough in this small town but the past had to be sad. Not knowing what to think, I carefully opened the package. Inside was a note from my grandmother who died in 1989. The note said: This was intended for you on graduation. You are the only family member who would understand. It was my great great whatever grandmother's silver pin that came over on the Mayflower to fend off witches. The note continued: "This is the real reason she was charged with the crime of casting spells. They wanted her treasure."

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »
The package was waiting for me when I came home. Though it was addressed to me, Eva Sanders,  something seemed off. For starters, it was covered in oiled cloth and it was postmarked December 1, 1933. I opened it very carefully and as soon as I cracked open the box, i was assailed by a heavenly smell. Fruity, spicy, rich, and buttery with just a hint of rum. Hmmmm....I picked out the card and read: Sis, sorry I can't be there with you for the holidays, please enjoy! Think of you always. Yours, Henry....Now what the heck? Henry was my great uncle, and my namesake Eva Rose was my grandma. What happened in all those years to delay the delivery of this delicious morsel? Oh well. I sat down at the table and cut a big slice. I guess it's true what they say about fruitcake. I have the proof right in front of me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:40:00 PM by ponytail »

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
And the scintillating winner is...

LindaM!

Welcome to the board and to the weekly contest Linda! :king:

Please post the starting sentence for this week's paragraph and remember you don't have to leave any blank spaces or nonsense like that. Unless you're weird like some of the rest of us.  :039:

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 08:02:01 AM »
The Christmas song, ________________, was ringing in my head as the mall blasted it to all.  I looked around and suddenly there were only _______________...

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
The Christmas song, Jingle Bells, was ringing in my head as the mall blasted it to all.  I looked around and suddenly there were only men's stores in site.  "Well, this is convenient," I said to myself, "as I am here to find a gift for my husband."  I wanted to be creative with my gift to him, no shirt, no slacks, no socks, no underwear, not even a nice
sports coat.  This year I wanted to get him something different, something extra special.  I walked into the first store and looked around.  "This must be an underwear store," I decided as all I saw was underwear.  I walked out and went into the store next door, the same thing, underwear here, underwear there, nothing but underwear.  As I went from store to store I became more desperate as they all contained only underwear.  Then I felt someone shaking my shoulder,  "Wake up honey," my husband was saying, "you must be having another one of your Christmas nightmares."

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
The Christmas song,"I'll Be Home Fro Christmas, was ringing in my head as the mall blasted it to all.  I looked around and suddenly there were only my reflections in the mall windows. And, I saw a tear fall down my cheek.
All the racing around for weeks had hardened me to the true meaning of the holiday.
No one seemed to help around the house and no one seemingly appreciated all the work that fell onto me ...to make it another magical holiday for ....Them!
Momentarily, I was transported back in time to a quieter, more simple day when I was a child and Perry Como was on the radio singing this beautiful song.
I hadn't a worry in the world except whether I would pass that final test before a two week vacation. I was at home with Mama and Daddy and my little sister and we were trimming our Christmas tree..... and I felt safe and happy.
I was jolted from my daydream by a hand tugging at my coat...."Grandma, Grandma, can we go see" Sanny" Claus"? I turned around to see several pair of big, innocent looking eyes quizzingly looking up at me...and was awakened to the realization that ....sure it was a lot a work. But, some day THESE would be their memories.,,and, that it was up to me, to make them.
I thought to myself...wake up, stop complaining and being grumpy....look what you have here. You are so blessed.
Now, as the next song blasted through the mall, and we made our way to the long "North Pole" line, I thanked God and knew it was going to be another magical Christmas!

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
The Christmas song, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree , was ringing in my head as the mall blasted it to all.  I looked around and suddenly there were only mannequins dressed in Santa suits everywhere. Some seemed eerily animated while others were mere statues.  What happened to all the shoppers, I wondered.  I looked at my watch and realized it was 10:05PM.  How did that happen? I just came to the mall to get one last gift but that was hours ago. What happened during the last 4 hours? As I wandered the food court I felt a tapping on my shoulder.  In startled fear I turned and saw a robotic Santa standing behind me.  "We were wondering if you were going to make it back in time." Said the Santa.  "What are you talking about?  Who are you? What is going on?" I whispered. "Oh now Elizabeth" Santa said. "Surely you remember your human vacation is over.  You must return to your original mannequin form at 10:00 PM.  It is my turn to go on my human vacation now!"  As I looked around I noticed I was now regenerating in my red velvet Santa suit.  "No NO NO" I tried to shout but it was no use.  I was locked inside this porcelain body for another year. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal