Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Paragraph contest  (Read 10833 times)

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
Re: Paragraph contest
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
^^^
I love it Trouble!

The Christmas song, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, was ringing in my head as the mall blasted it to all.  I looked around and suddenly there were only kids around and all of them were staring at me. A hulking boy who said he was ten, but didn't look a day under thirty shoved me towards a bench and the next thing I knew a line was forming to my right. I suddenly remembered all the signs I'd passed going into the mall about Santa coming to the mall today. That does it. The minute I can shake these little scamps off and escape to my car, I am going home and shaving off my white beard. Movember is definitely over for this guy.

:a035:

The Christmas song, Chiron Beta Prime was ringing in my head as the mall blasted it to all.  I looked around and suddenly there were only robots everywhere I looked. I blinked and the robots became people again. Ok so maybe I panicked a little. A normal person would've called their doctor and gotten their head examined, but not me. I'm a sci-fi geek and a person who hates going to the doctor, so my first instinct was obviously to sneak over to the mall's rotunda and hide in the kids' playhouse so I could observe the robotic patrons without being observed by them in return. My plan was working perfectly until a kid crawled through the window into the playhouse. I tried to explain, but just my luck, I'd been found by the one kid with no imagination. He screamed the house down and now here I am, locked up in mall-jail trying to explain to some Paul Blart wannabe that we've been invaded by robot overlords and all he does is laugh and offer me some soylent green. That is so not funny!

-Shiver-

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »
The Christmas song 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer' was ringing through my head as the mall blasted it to all. I looked around and suddenly there were only a few shoppers left...my, how time flies when you're pressed for time...tomorrow all my children and grandchildren would be gathering at my house for Christmas Day, and I still had lots to do. There was a light snow beginning to fall as I left, so I hurriedly crawled into the car and started down the road, windshield wipers going full blast. A sudden thumpity thump scared me enough to make me veer to side the road and stop. I got out to see what was going on, and saw a shaggy lump  a few yards back. As I carefully picked my way back, I could see a faint, glowing red light flicker on and off. Uh-oh...this could not be good. I got closer and was just in time to see the poor reindeer's eyes glaze over, and his flickering red light go completely out. What had I done? How could this be? Every child in the world would hate me...waaahhhh, RUDOLPH!

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
And this week's paragraph winner is . . .

TROUBLE!

All were so good it was hard to choose but she just made my night with her piece.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2014, 10:15:20 PM »
Congratulations, trouble ! :08:
I didn't want to post this until the winner was announced...but, on New Years Day the Sci FY channel runs a Twilight Zone marathon.
They run for almost 2 days...! I love it and watch every year, although I have seen them countless times .
One particular story which stars an actress named Anne Francis is similar to this story.
She plays a girl who is actually a mannequin.
The espisode starts off with her shopping and then getting off the elevator on a floor that really was not ... a floor....but....in the Twilight Zone.
This floor contained all the store props and "live" mannequins.
She finally realized her "live' time was over and that she would have to return to her old form and the last scene shows her on the main floor...as a mannequin.
If anyone else enjoyed the Twilight Zone...of course, in black and white... check it out on New Years Eve and Day.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:17:41 PM by bacali »

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2014, 11:10:20 PM »
Bacali that is exactly the story that was in my mind!  I was always terrified of Twilight Zone as a kid.  This episode, the one with Burgess Meredith and the broken glasses, the Talking Tina episode and one where a kid rolled into the wall and was lost in a third dimension.  If I remember the mannequin one right she went in to get a thimble.  I love to sew but have never bought a thimble because of this!!!

Let's make this next paragraph go with a holiday theme!!

"Only two weeks left before Christmas and all he/she could think of was . . ."

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:13:45 PM by trouble405 »
Here's to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2014, 05:27:02 PM »
Trouble your piece combined several thoughts into one.  It reminded me of the 9th (or is it 10th) Doctor's premiere.  Eccleston had to fight mannequins and your story made me smile.

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »
This story is probably nonsense and doubly so to people who haven't seen the ABC show 'Once Upon a Time'. Sorry non-Oncers!

Only two weeks left before Christmas and all he could think of was how he was going to get his Christmas present to his only grandson. Grandma hadn't been run over by a reindeer, but she had kicked grandpa out of town, over, a... let's call it a misunderstanding. Now he was in New York, barred from his own home at Christmas and completely unable to mail anything home because his town was invisible to all outsiders due to a curse (mind you, it was a completely separate curse which wouldn't allow grandpa to go back home), so Grandpa Gold needed a plan and he needed it fast. His solution came in the form of an adorable red-headed orphan whose dog stole grandpa's cane, thus earning it's mistress a little lesson in respect for one's elders. So grandpa Gold cornered little orphan Annie and ripped out her heart so that he could use it to force her to do his bidding, which wasn't anything evil after all. He just wanted her to go into a cursed town and bring his grandson his Christmas gift. He even slipped her heart into her backpack wrapped up for Christmas, complete with a note asking Regina to put the little girl's heart back in... 'please'....he's not really a bad guy after all. ...and that's how Henry got his Christmas present and how Storybrook Maine's population (not to mention the overcrowded Charming household) grew by one when Little Orphan Annie was adopted by Snow White and Prince Charming.

Because my first story probably made no sense at all to Trouble. Here's a bonus paragraph!

Only two weeks left before Christmas and all she could think of was how she was going to convince her son that Santa could still find him on Christmas even though they moved to a new state after he mailed his letter. She's tried logic, 'Jonny, we left a forwarding address.' and she tried magic, 'Jonny, Santa knows when you're sleeping and he knows when you're awake... I'm sure he knows that you've moved to Michigan too.' Now here she was two weeks later, on Christmas Eve, nibbling on Cookies and drinking milk, waiting for her husband to slide down the chimney so that he could 'accidentally' wake Jonny up and tell him to go back to bed 'ho ho ho'. ...but something must've gone wrong. She hadn't heard her husband's heavy Santa boots on the roof in at least 20 minutes and she could almost swear she heard some very un-christmasy language coming from the empty fireplace. The mother sighed, dialed 911 and wondered if she could convince her three year old that Santa was driving a fire truck this year.

:a035:

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 02:11:56 AM »
Only two weeks left before Christmas and all she could think of was that doll in the window of Roses department store that made Hattie's eyes smile each time she looked at it.  With Paul off fighting in the Pacific it was up to her alone to give their little girl a happy Christmas.  It had been over a month since she had heard from Paul but she knew how erratic the mail service was considering he was out in the middle of the ocean.  Still she worried.  How could she help it?  Almost daily there was some bad news about the war.  She had struggled just to keep the household running and putting food on the table for herself and Hattie.  The only way for her to get Hattie that doll was to pawn her wedding band.  Would Paul understand?  Would he approve of her doing such a thing to make Hattie happy?  Finally the day before Christmas she made her decision.  She walked out of her apartment and down the stairs headed to the pawn shop.  The mailman was just placing the mail in the boxes by the front door and as she walked up he handed her a letter.  She smiled as she recognized the writing on the envelope and hurriedly tore it open.  Inside was a note with money folded inside of it.  As she counted it she found it was the exact amount she needed to get Hattie's doll.   

Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
Only two weeks left before Christmas and all she could think of was whether or not she had time to get that dang suit fixed up for the night. Too many slides down too many chimneys. Too many cookies and too many cups of cocoa. Too many hoof prints from too many excitable reindeer ready to get their speed on. All year long she had been nagging him about this, and now, when time was short, he finally crawls out of it long enough so she might, just might be able to get it ready for another year....   Men!!

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
Thank you for the wonderful Christmas stories!  Outlast you are correct - the first paragraph didn't make a lot of sense to me but I loved the second paragraph. I loved that she let him sit in the chimney over 20 minutes before calling 911.  Snowbird your paragraph was so heartwarming. The mom willing to sacrifice everything for the light in her child's eyes while dad is in the service.  so sweet!!  and Ponytail your story made me giggle at the exasperated "men".  I choose them all!!!  But since I must select only one I am going to choose the tug at my heartstrings story!

Congratulations Snowbird!!

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »
I feel so honored to have won with such great paragraphs.  I am glad I didn't have to picked the winner but I will next week.  So here is a new starter for all you authors out there.

Let's see what you do with this old familiar sentence.

"It was the night before Christmas when all through the house...."
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »
It was the night before Christmas and all through the house Mommy was frantically trying to get the kids to go to bed!  She had so many things to do before morning and none of it could be started if those sweet dimpled darlings don't go to sleep!!  There was wrapping to be done and stockings to be filled as well as breakfast and dinner prep to be done!  If one more child asked for one more drink of water she was going to SCREAM!!!  Every five minutes someone was needing to potty, get a drink or ask if Santa had been there yet.  Suddenly she had an idea!! She quietly took a bell off the tree and the next time one of the children asked a question she began ringing the bell loudly! "oh no" she said "Santa just flew over and didn't stop because you were still awake!!"  SILENCE then a little voice saying "will he come back?".  "only if you hurry and go to sleep" said the Mommy.  All was quiet and suddenly a little voice said "mommy?" and the bell started to ring again!  "there he goes again!  You children better get to sleep or you will miss Christmas" and it worked!!!  Once they were quiet they drifted off into their blissful sleep and Mommy was able to start the long nights work ahead of her!

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
Twas the night before Christmas and all thru the house
Not a creature was stirring except for me and my spouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
My feet were freezing, because they were bare!

The cats were all cuddled snug in their bed
While visions of catnip danced in their heads.
And hubby in his jersey and I in his lap
Had just settled ourselves amidst the gift-wrap.

When out on the lawn their arose such a clatter
We sprang to our feet to see what was the matter.
Away to the shotgun he flew like a flash
While I for the baseball bat made a dash.

The moon shown o'er our nativity in the snow
When movement within it made me cry, 'Oh no!'
What to my wondering eye should appear?
But a wee babe wrapped in a thin blanket, 'Oh dear!'

With a tiny little cry so lively and quick
I knew in a moment that he wasn't sick.
I looked at my husband and could see he felt the same
'Well,' he said, 'I guess we should give him a name.'

How about Keith or Rocker
   Or Tony or Spencer?
Perhaps Aras or Tyson
   Or Ozzy or Benjamin?
To public or private school halls?
   Or to home school would be cool.
Oh dash it! Let's have him try them all!

Then in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of little hoofs
As we held our boy and showed him around
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.

He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
and his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot.
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
and he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.

His eyes--how they twinkled! His dimples, how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
and the beard on his chin was as white as the snow.
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
that shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
and I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself.
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
and filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk.
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
and giving a nod, up the chimney he rose.

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, 'ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

...as you can plainly see I got very very lazy at the end and just copied the poem because I've always loved it and as I said I got lazy.  :040:

Oh well! I gave it a go anyway! Merry Christmas to all and God bless us every one! :88:

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
I love the Once story.  I just now got around to reading it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal