Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: My Pet Peeve  (Read 67353 times)

Offline Prairie Dawn

• Buzzified
Re: My Pet Peeve
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »
People who never answer the phone, they just let it ring and ring...... ::)

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »
People who use "theory" when they mean "hypothesis." The next time a friend says "I have a theory," interrupt and say, "no you don't, you have a hypothesis."  I guarantee it will endear you to him/her.*  NOT.

*Excerpt from the non-seller How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, by Merry Prankster.

Offline Prairie Dawn

• Buzzified
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2013, 05:46:38 PM »
MP, you have heard this one before, people who use the "word" IRREGARDLESS.  :41:

Offline Court

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
    • The Reality Buzz
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2013, 07:10:14 AM »
 Having to get up early on a Saturday to attend a conference.  :015:

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »
MP, you have heard this one before, people who use the "word" IRREGARDLESS.  :41:

Yes, and it makes my nerves jangle.  The non-word is complete nonsense; it's like a double negative, the prefix and suffix cancel each other out.  I think the "ir" somehow migrated over from "irrespective". 

Another semantic pet peeve----people who use the phrase "point of fact".  It's OK grammatically but it's always followed by a statement of the fact itself.  It's like saying "Hey stupid, I'm about to give you a fact so pay attention."  I was interviewing for a job one time and the interviewer found a way to shoehorn "point of fact" into every third sentence.  By the end of the interview I wanted to give her the Cookie Monster treatment----------whipped cream pie right in the kisser!  POW! :72:

Offline Prairie Dawn

• Buzzified
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »

Yes, and it makes my nerves jangle.  The non-word is complete nonsense; it's like a double negative, the prefix and suffix cancel each other out.  I think the "ir" somehow migrated over from "irrespective". 

Another semantic pet peeve----people who use the phrase "point of fact".  It's OK grammatically but it's always followed by a statement of the fact itself.  It's like saying "Hey stupid, I'm about to give you a fact so pay attention."  I was interviewing for a job one time and the interviewer found a way to shoehorn "point of fact" into every third sentence.  By the end of the interview I wanted to give her the Cookie Monster treatment----------whipped cream pie right in the kisser!  POW! :72:

:41:  Another one of my personal favorites......henceforth! Hearing that word is like hearing fingernails run down a chalkboard! I went to a ADHD convention a few years back.  All the "big guns" in the field were there.  One of the psychiatrists, a quite famous psychiatrist in this particular area of study, punctuated every other sentence with HENCEFORTH.  I was so irritated by this I started counting the number of times he said that word.  My colleague found this very diverting! The grand total, you ask? Thirty four. In one hour.

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2013, 08:00:20 PM »

:41:  Another one of my personal favorites......henceforth! Hearing that word is like hearing fingernails run down a chalkboard! I went to a ADHD convention a few years back.  All the "big guns" in the field were there.  One of the psychiatrists, a quite famous psychiatrist in this particular area of study, punctuated every other sentence with HENCEFORTH.  I was so irritated by this I started counting the number of times he said that word.  My colleague found this very diverting! The grand total, you ask? Thirty four. In one hour.

Irregardless is one of my pet peeves too. 
The one that really makes me want to scream is a new one on the market, started by teenagers I think, but now it seems everyone under 30 uses it in every sentence at least once, and sometimes more.  That is the work "like".
It's like I know that you are like stupid but I like the work like, like is like love except not like as much.
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
O Sno, what have you done?  "Like"----every cell in my being screams "rant, rant, rant."  I will spare you.

Hey guys, I just came up w/a new nonsense word------------"irrespectiveless."

Offline sherylk

• Gold Bee
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »
People that are supposedly your "friends" - that stab you in the back.

Offline Prairie Dawn

• Buzzified
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2013, 12:45:15 AM »

Irregardless is one of my pet peeves too. 
The one that really makes me want to scream is a new one on the market, started by teenagers I think, but now it seems everyone under 30 uses it in every sentence at least once, and sometimes more.  That is the work "like".
It's like I know that you are like stupid but I like the work like, like is like love except not like as much.

Oh snow! That one is right up there in my top ten verbal pet peeves! It's like, you know, like bad..........aaaaargh! Drives me bananas!

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2013, 01:45:11 PM »
Pollen....Just when the weather gets nice enough to venture outdoors and breathe...
            -flowergrowing-....
             now my eyes are itchy and I keep sneezing!!!

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »
Now that I started reading all the pet peeves in grammar.
What REALLY bothers me and is my #1 pet peeve...... the use of the word "I" all the time by everyone.
eg..Bob gave the ball to Tony and I....NO NO NO...
It's Bob gave the ball to Tony and ME.
Would you say...Bob gave the ball to I?   

You hear this grammatical error by just about everyone!   :41:

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
Yes you do, bacali, and another one I just hate is I seen instead of I saw. I've heard very educated people use that one all the time.

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »
Okay, before you guys "proper grammar" me into complete paranoia, a new pet peeve-------Cabdrivers.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2013, 01:44:54 AM »
What about people who "steal" your cabs?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal