Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Covfefes  (Read 7447 times)

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
Re: Covfefes
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
When you said, "Not for the squeamish," I decided I could face it.  Give us a brief description.

Growing up in NC, I remember the 60s well.  Early 60s  in grade school we were taught to hide under our desk if the Civil Defense sounded the alarm.  We were told where the bomb shelters were and where to go.  I doubt that remains.

My area of the county was different from the rest.  Yes, the Civil War rolled through, but many African-Americans had made their homes there and many decided to use the names of the families who they worked for.  Many were active parts of the community even though their children couldn't go to school with us.  Mother and dad both had friends who were African-American.  Mother grew up in the Northern part of the county where they had sharecroppers and she played with those children.  We were taught to respect these people and wondered why they couldn't go to school with them.  When we had desegregation, our community school had no problems but when we moved into high school they started.  I'm glad to have been raised with an open mind.  I accept everyone -- Native American, Hispanic/Latino, African-American, those of Muslim origins who are teachers and dedicate workers.

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
LindaM---The "squeamish" part involves the car speeding into a crowd of anti-protest protesters and the aftermath.  High in shock value but fairly low in the gore department.  MP rates it only a PG for violence and gore.  You can handle it.

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 02:49:25 PM »
I respect how you all feel but I just felt like after reading that entire thread that MP started that I was in the minority here and it makes me uncomfortable.  I have a left-wing radical daughter that I can't talk to about my feelings although sometimes she forces me to because she won't stop when I beg her to.  I am having a tough time right now and it has nothing to do with my husband's death and is mostly because of dealing with the left.  It seems that so many of them think I have no right to my opinion since it is different from theirs.  I have been called every insulting name in the book by people that preach tolerance for others.  They are tolerant of others as long as they are not on the opposite side politically. None of you are guilty of that and I appreciate it that you "tolerate" me. 
I do not think this is the place for political discussions but I am only one person so continue writing what you want.  I do believe in free speech no matter what your thoughts are. 
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
Snowbird, I know your feelings, and if you notice I haven't really voiced mine here.
You know how I feel, and we agreed months ago to never talk politics....you and I.
And, we haven't.

I "have" said that I find some of the late night talk show to be funny. They do joke about "the Donald".
But, then, I found George Bush to be hysterical on inauguration day with his raincoat incident.
My husband and I argue all the time, too. WE do not agree! He agrees with your thinking.
I read an article in the newspaper that said that there are( cross my heart I read this) ....there are actually couples divorcing because they are not in agreement right now about this Presidency.
So, we do have people on different sides, with different views.... this is just the fact. And, it's worse now than I ever remember it being.

On our site, we do discuss lots of things, ( this thread is under "General Discussion")and I don't think this topic is off-limits, as long as we each respect each other. And, I don't think anyone here has called anyone else names. No one here has been disrespectful of another member. They have just voiced their true feeling. I do not find this wrong. This is permitted....because we live in a free society...America .
No one, as I have already posted, should not be comfortable saying what they feel, as long as it's respectful of the other members. Voicing a dislike for Pres. Trump is not disrespecting any other member here, because we are allowed to our opinions. Pure and simple, I think. And....

We don't just "tolerate" you, Snowbird. You know how much we all care about you. And, you have made your view known.
You have that right and we do respect you for your opinions.
I hope that I said this to make everyone feel what I was trying to convey. I think we have the greatest members here. We all should be able to "talk" about anything , even if it's a touchy topic... like this one is.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal