Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: The Alienist  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
The Alienist
« on: February 15, 2018, 05:35:49 PM »
The Alienist       Mondays at 9PM on TNT Catch-up available on TNT on Demand

TNT generally puts out less than stellar original content but The Alienist is very good.  A well-rendered adaptation of the Caleb Carr bestseller about a psychiatrist and his sidekicks in pursuit of a serial killer in turn-of-the century NYC.  The production values are fantastic, as the series brings to life the NYC of the time in all of its teeming glory, grit and squalor.  Issues of gender, class, police corruption and the human mind are explored in this richly layered, well-written, well-acted story.  MP highly recommends it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:38:01 PM by Merry Prankster »

Offline Court

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
    • The Reality Buzz
Re: The Alienist
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »
It sounds like an interesting show.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:43:23 PM »
Love, love, love this show! It caught me from the start. Unusual setting, story lines, and characters. It has it all! I like watching the investigative procedures from way back when...I somehow find it so intriguing!

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »
Love, love, love this show! It caught me from the start. Unusual setting, story lines, and characters. It has it all! I like watching the investigative procedures from way back when...I somehow find it so intriguing!

MP could not agree more.  Some of the scenes are fantastic!  Like the opening scene of the most recent episode when Kreizler meets with the S&M madam (a former patient) to gain insight into the mind of the serial killer.  Also, the meeting with Dakota Fanning in Central Park.  Believe it or not, MP attended high school with a woman who later married and whose real-life story was eerily similar to the story of the woman with the empty baby carriage.  Chilling.

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
Ponytail,  what did you think of Episode 6?  MP thought the last 15 minutes were absolutely riveting.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »
Very much so! Soooooo close! A perfect storm of bumbles. So many good plot lines and twists to follow. But each episode is better than the last. I am tired of Dakota Fanning yelling and pressuring Chryzler(sp) all the time, though. It will be hard to wait for the next season. I wonder if they will wrap this case up and start on a new one next season? What do you think?

By the way, have you ever watched Harry Bosch? My brother got me going on that one. He's a hard bitten, gritty detective in LA. They run their seasons like I mentioned above. A new case every season. Very good character, I think you would like him.

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 06:40:03 PM »
Very much so! Soooooo close! A perfect storm of bumbles. So many good plot lines and twists to follow. But each episode is better than the last. I am tired of Dakota Fanning yelling and pressuring Chryzler(sp) all the time, though. It will be hard to wait for the next season. I wonder if they will wrap this case up and start on a new one next season? What do you think?

By the way, have you ever watched Harry Bosch? My brother got me going on that one. He's a hard bitten, gritty detective in LA. They run their seasons like I mentioned above. A new case every season. Very good character, I think you would like him.

Alienist---MP assumes that the story will be completed this season because it is based upon the novel.  He cuts Dakota some slack because she is obsessed with the man.  How about that slap?  And   the final scene, the slow pan up from the body to the top of Lady Liberty,was chillingly fantastic.

Harry Bosch--MP has not seen it because he does not subscribe (Amazon?). But he has read several books about Bosch, who was created by the author, Michael Connelly.  MP highly recommends The Poet, IMHO Connelly's best Bosch novel.

Harry Bosch--MP has not seen it because he does not subscribe (
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:52:06 PM by Merry Prankster »

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:15:16 AM »
Episode 8--WOW!  Zeroing in on the killer's identity.  Then that pig Connor kills poor Mary.  Who is that tall, well dressed gentlemen of few words but lots of chloroform?  OOPs, MP just realized he is the Swede.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:28:40 AM by Merry Prankster »

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
Okay, I missed it, who is the Swede? I loved how the show moved back and forth through the varying parts of the investigation. What a great season this has been! I love this show and look forward to it every week.

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
Okay, I missed it, who is the Swede? I loved how the show moved back and forth through the varying parts of the investigation. What a great season this has been! I love this show and look forward to it every week.

The Swede is the guy Connor hired to off Kreizler/Moore.  He's the one who shot them off the road.  Then he got back to nyC ahead of K/M to tell Connor he failed.  That's why Connor showed up at K's to finish the job, MP thinks.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 11:58:51 PM »
Well, MP, I don't know if you visit us anymore, but I was wondering what your thoughts were on season 2 of the Alienist. I found it just as riveting as season 1, maybe even more so.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 01:11:53 AM »
Ponytail, I hope MP comes to talk to you about this show. I have never watched it. MP :91: where are you?

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »
I binged watched season 2 and thought it was fascinating.  I love seeing the people and how they dressed in that time period.  I have started on season one and although it is good I think I like season 2 better.  I am looking forward to watching the rest of season 2
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 01:35:00 PM »
I agree, Snowbird! The story was better than season 1 and I, like you, like these period pieces a lot. We have come a long way since those days!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal