Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: WEATHER  (Read 16524 times)

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Re: WEATHER
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 01:48:30 PM »
Well...I think we just about have given up on our lawn. I pester hubby to go out and water...I've done it for years...and think he can do it now that he's not traveling for work.
When he finally says..he is going to go water the grass. I now say..not to bother with the grass . Just do the flowers we spent so much money and time into doing.
I can't wait until I can shut  off the air conditioners and OPEN up my windows to cooler fresh air.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »
We have had just enough rain to keep our yards green, unusual this time of year--usually they are brown. Tonight we had a little shower and the temps are going to dip into the 50's! Crazy for this time of year.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
Wow, lucky you. YOU can open your windows...hahaha!
What erratic weather.
And, I was just thinking...as I was looking at the calender. Christmas is only 4 months away.
We ,hopefully, won't be complaining about snow! -LOL-

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 03:49:36 PM »
We go from beautiful weather to hot, humid weather.  The last four weeks have been rough.  Rain -- actually had some and cooled us off.  But back to the 90s this weekend.  I'm waiting for a hurricane.  I just feel one is brewing.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 08:55:39 PM »
Well a new weather term has been coined--rain bomb. We have been experiencing lots of those this month here at my home and in the surrounding area. A rain bomb is a sudden dump of rain in a very short period of time, causing streets and homes to flood since the drainage systems can't keep up. Very strange this time of year. Have you heard this term yet? It's new to me, anyway!

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 02:00:28 AM »
Nope , it's a new term for me, too.
My husband makes me laugh, ...he's always saying ...when I ask about the weather.... that we are going to have /or just had...a "pop up storm" . It's gotten to be a joke.
Maybe this is the same type of storm....just not named that around here, yet.
I shall now listen for this new term....."rain bomb". I don't really like the name , though....being the temperament in the country, at the moment.

Offline Whitesox71

• Gold Bee
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
"Rain bomb" is new to me too. Our weather has been very strange here for August. It is usually the hottest
month of summer. But we have been having very cool weather. It goes to low 60's in the evenings and with
a nice breeze. We could use a little more rain than what we are getting, but hopefully no rain bombs! :051bye:

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
Okay -- we have strange weather.  We go from cool and nice to hot and humid.  Add to that the leaves are changing already.  Scary if you ask me.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »
It is very, very scary. The weather extremes are very disturbing. We also had another peculiar weather form called a micro burst. It is an extremely strong straight line wind that does lots of damage in it's short path, almost tornado like. We had one earlier this summer. It did very strange damage. It took one of my heavy deck chairs and dropped it in the yard, but my potted geraniums weren't even ruffled. Same thing downtown, where many of the business had roofs blown off or damaged, but fragile things weren't even bothered. Yoiks!

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »
In the last five years, I have heard terms I  have never heard before.  Hit and miss showers are common here as is the term "gully" washer.   Two new terms I've heard.

Landocane -- a force of wind that moves from the plains to the East Coast.  Strong winds like a hurricane that last minutes.
Grapel -- I hope I spelled that right.  It's not sleet (too big).  It's not hail.  It's small pellets of ice that come during cold weather.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 06:32:46 PM »
Grapel is a new one! And landocane. Interesting!

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 06:33:32 PM »
OH NO...... -snowplop-   SNOW!!!
How is "Santa" supposed to do his shopping? There's so much more to do.
But , LOL, my husband is thanking me for telling him to do our outside lights when the weather was mild a few weeks ago.
They had forecast some snow....a dusting, and this wasn't too bad. Now, of course, another front has come around from who knows where and now we have been given a time schedule. The weather people LOVE this.
So, tomorrow from 6am-to 1 pm we get "light snow", then from 1pm-8pm "steadier " snow and then 8 pm to 1 am the snow will be "tapering" down!!!
But, then....who knows. Maybe another front will blow it away??  #4846

Offline Whitesox71

• Gold Bee
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2017, 03:46:43 AM »
We got our first "dusting" of snow tonight around midnight. In some spots,
it had covered the roads and was blowing like crazy and some spots were still bare.
Not sure what I will wake up to tomorrow but I plan on staying inside all day and
getting work done around the house and wrapping presents and writing out my
Christmas cards. :a035:

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 11:19:22 PM »
I have heard the term grapple here in Oklahoma often.  It is little tiny frozen ice pellets but not sleet.  The National Weather Service has a huge office just south of Oklahoma City and we get a lot of storm chasers in training as well as meteorologists learning at their offices.  Some of the new terms we have heard in the last few years are "PDS" - during tornado season which is usually April, May and June - we hear PDS often which means a Particularly Dangerous Situation is building.  Another is Thunder Snow.  It will be snowing like crazy and you hear thunder and sometimes see lightning. 
Here's to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 01:09:55 AM »
My scariest drive was at night during thunder snow. It blinds you and turns everything white, so you don't know where the road is. All your night vision is gone! It's kinda cool otherwise!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal