Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Outlander -- Book and Series  (Read 952 times)

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
Outlander -- Book and Series
« on: March 19, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
Don't know how many read the Outlander series or watch the show on Starz, but I thought I'd let you know what the writer is up to.  Drums of Autumn is set literally in my back door with the Battle of Alamance.  I actually worked at the Battleground when I was at Community College.  The series is alot like the Wheel of Time but based supposedly on some actual events.  Let's just say that Diana Gabaladon did not do proper research on the Battle of Alamance.

Anyway, she's coming to Alamance County in April on a speaking tour.  I went to a book signing in the 90s when she gave a reading and signed your book for free.  Now read how much she's charging.

One night lecture at the local community theater (Paramount):
VIP admission:  $100 includes autographs (yes books are included) and photo shot with your providing your camera.
General admission:  $50.  No autographs.

Next day:  Limit to 40 people at $300 a head
Brunch at tour of the Battleground.

Guess she's trying to make a mint off the series. 

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
Re: Outlander -- Book and Series
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:03:22 PM »
*whistles* that is quite the price just see an author in person. I hope she gives them good value for their money! I sure wouldn’t pay that. Especially since I haven’t even finished reading the series yet. Maybe she’s serving a meal or something?

As to the tv series I’ve only scene the first episode and maybe a bit of the next one I think? Just wasn’t feeling the main casting.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »
The 40 people $300 includes a brunch.  Having worked at the site, I know the history.  Having lived in the community all my life, I know Alamance.  Having heard her and talked to her, she didn't know the area or care to be enlightened.  She was a little obnoxious when I and my friend met her which meant we decided to play mind games.  When she said that High Point was named for a "high point of land" but couldn't be more specific, I had to shoo the other two out. 

The series -- I couldn't warm up to the characters and either and thought they were miscasted.

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »
I do love the version of The Skye Boat Song they used for the theme song though. That is something they did get right! And I certainly wish the casting hadn't been so jarring because I would've loved to watch a series chock full of men in kilts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal