Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Flooding in Nebraska  (Read 2067 times)

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Flooding in Nebraska
« on: March 23, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »
My state is under water! My hometown has received some of the worst of it. The rivers and creeks have flooded washing away bridges and roads. The national guard is airlifting hay to livestock that has been stranded on islands of higher ground. Ice chunks the size of cars and houses have come crashing through the bridges and landed in the fields and yards of farmers. Livestock that hasn't made it to higher ground has drowned, or frozen to death in a blizzard that hit simultaneously in the western part of the state. Since it is calving season, many of them did not make it. Once the water recedes, many of the farmers will have to try to cleanup their land from the sand and debris--many of them will not be able to. Between the tariffs and this natural catastrophe, out farmers and ranchers will not make it. Our school district has been split in half. They are trying to teach via chromebook to the students that can't make it to town. Many of the highways and parts of several interstates have been closed. My daughter is an instructor for the army national guard at Ashland. Their facility was completely flooded--doubtful they will even be able to go back. This is just the beginning, more spring flooding will come, and all if it will feed into our rivers to the south. Pray for the heartland! And our farmers and ranchers!

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
Re: Flooding in Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 11:24:01 PM »
So sorry Ponytail.  I had heard it was flooding but didn't realize how bad things were.
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 03:50:36 PM »
Little known fact, we have 79,00p miles of creeks and rivers, more than any other state. 91% of our land is used for ag related purposes. We are 2nd in the production of beef and ethanol. So sad. :(

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 11:11:29 PM »
Oklahoma is sending hay for the animals. So much of the hay grown in Nebraska got soaked. There were 7500 of the big round bales that set out this morning.
Here's to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 12:01:50 AM »
Your post left me with heartbreak for your region of the country. It's terrible that in one country there are so many different states that most of us don't know much about.
I have never been to Nebraska. I would love to see this part of our country, your part , ponytail.
From all your pictures through these many years, it looks beautiful.

I so wish I could do something and think I will try.
Cory Booker is from my state and running for Pres. I will copy and forward you post to him and ask if it's possible that NJ help you out.

I have never done this before so, I can't promise anything...but, I promise you I will try.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 12:40:32 AM »
Who knows … but, I do know that our NJ Senator running for Pres( Cory Booker) will be on CNN this week. I sent him this message..copying what you said here... Let's see, ponytail , if this man addresses your problems......

Hi, Mr. Booker,
 I , as you see, am a resident of NJ . I have never met you, but, a few years ago, you were active with my son, who works as a Bergen County sheriff,   when Mr. Tedesco was running for County Executive.

I am not asking presently for me or our state, but, since you are running for President of the whole United States, our whole country, I think you should know what is happening to residents of other states.
I know you are having a Town hall meeting this week on CNN and am sure that people in the heartland of our country would like very much to hear a remedy to their problems.

I received a email from a friend in Nebraska. I will copy it to you. I think you should know and maybe address this when you are doing this town meeting on CNN this week. I will tell her that I have forwarded her emails to you.

Here is her mail to me:

"  My state is under water! My hometown has received some of the worst of it. The rivers and creeks have flooded washing away bridges and roads. The national guard is airlifting hay to livestock that has been stranded on islands of higher ground. Ice chunks the size of cars and houses have come crashing through the bridges and landed in the fields and yards of farmers. Livestock that hasn't made it to higher ground has drowned, or frozen to death in a blizzard that hit simultaneously in the western part of the state. Since it is calving season, many of them did not make it. Once the water recedes, many of the farmers will have to try to cleanup their land from the sand and debris--many of them will not be able to. Between the tariffs and this natural catastrophe, out farmers and ranchers will not make it. Our school district has been split in half. They are trying to teach via chromebook to the students that can't make it to town. Many of the highways and parts of several interstates have been closed. My daughter is an instructor for the army national guard at Ashland. Their facility was completely flooded--doubtful they will even be able to go back. This is just the beginning, more spring flooding will come, and all if it will feed into our rivers to the south. Pray for the heartland! And our farmers and ranchers! "

Of course, I have lots of other issues to be addressed in this political madness in NJ, but, I felt so helpless receiving this and thought... hey... who could I pass this along to.

Maybe you can address this when you are on CNN this week, or even bring this to light so these poor people can be helped. 

Then, I just signed my name. I hope, ponytail that maybe this bring light to the problems you have in Nebraska. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 01:26:06 PM »
Oh, ponytail, this is so sad.  I know we've had flooding here and I know it has been bad but what ya'll have gone through is so much worse.  I've been thinking and praying for you.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 12:41:33 AM »
The kindness of our fellow Americans truly knows no bounds. Our state has received aid from all across the country. In this divisive world we live in, I am so grateful for everyone pulling together to help us out.  And to all of you, thanks for your prayers, advocacy and support!. It will be a long time before we get back to normal.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 05:39:43 PM »
Unimaginable. They say 1 million calves were lost in the flooding here in Nebraska--many of them were found with broken legs from the ice chunks that were crashing down the river, many more drowned, and even some of them were frozen. The flooding came so fast there was no way to prepare or to move them out of harms way. Expect beef prices to go up. It will take years to recover. Nebraska wasn't the only state that was hard hit.  :'(

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 06:39:08 PM »
This is heartbreaking news to hear. Do they say, ponytail, that the flooding was a result of global warming?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal