Open Floor > News

Flooding in Nebraska

(1/2) > >>

ponytail:
My state is under water! My hometown has received some of the worst of it. The rivers and creeks have flooded washing away bridges and roads. The national guard is airlifting hay to livestock that has been stranded on islands of higher ground. Ice chunks the size of cars and houses have come crashing through the bridges and landed in the fields and yards of farmers. Livestock that hasn't made it to higher ground has drowned, or frozen to death in a blizzard that hit simultaneously in the western part of the state. Since it is calving season, many of them did not make it. Once the water recedes, many of the farmers will have to try to cleanup their land from the sand and debris--many of them will not be able to. Between the tariffs and this natural catastrophe, out farmers and ranchers will not make it. Our school district has been split in half. They are trying to teach via chromebook to the students that can't make it to town. Many of the highways and parts of several interstates have been closed. My daughter is an instructor for the army national guard at Ashland. Their facility was completely flooded--doubtful they will even be able to go back. This is just the beginning, more spring flooding will come, and all if it will feed into our rivers to the south. Pray for the heartland! And our farmers and ranchers!

Snowbird:
So sorry Ponytail.  I had heard it was flooding but didn't realize how bad things were.

ponytail:
Little known fact, we have 79,00p miles of creeks and rivers, more than any other state. 91% of our land is used for ag related purposes. We are 2nd in the production of beef and ethanol. So sad. :(

trouble405:
Oklahoma is sending hay for the animals. So much of the hay grown in Nebraska got soaked. There were 7500 of the big round bales that set out this morning.

bacali:
Your post left me with heartbreak for your region of the country. It's terrible that in one country there are so many different states that most of us don't know much about.
I have never been to Nebraska. I would love to see this part of our country, your part , ponytail.
From all your pictures through these many years, it looks beautiful.

I so wish I could do something and think I will try.
Cory Booker is from my state and running for Pres. I will copy and forward you post to him and ask if it's possible that NJ help you out.

I have never done this before so, I can't promise anything...but, I promise you I will try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version