Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Georgia's new voting laws  (Read 995 times)

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
Georgia's new voting laws
« on: May 03, 2021, 06:43:32 PM »
I am sure you have all heard about the controversy over the new laws our governor Kemp has signed recently.  Biden has called it suppressive as have other liberals and Democrats.  Stacy Abrams who Georgia is "blessed" to have as a citizen also had a lot of negative things to say about it.  What they don't say is the truth and I would like to sound off about what the law really says and why it was necessary.  If you wish to comment feel free but if you don't I just want to let you know what it really says. 

First, if it is suppressive, which it is not, it suppresses both parties.  Republicans have to go by the rules just like Democrats.  Next drop boxes are allowed but will be in more secure places which will prevent the harvesting of votes.   Who can object to secure boxes?  One thing they have really jumped on is that water cannot be passed out in the lines.  This is only 150 yards from the voting place that no soliciting of votes can be done which has always been in law.  Bottles were handed out with the name of Warnock who ran and won the last election.  Water and snacks can be given out more than that distance and poll workers can offer water anywhere a person is in line. 
They complain about early voting days being shortened so workers cannot vote early.  This is untrue as it mandates 2 Saturdays and options of opening the polls for early voting on 2 Sundays also. If someone really wants to vote they can find a time convenient to them.   actually this is an expansion of voting time. 
Voter ID's is one big thing.  Why should it be?  Is one party more likely to not know how to pertain an iD if they don"t dr8ve?  They are free from the government.  All they need to do is request one.   No one should object to this rule unless they want to vote illegally.

The lies told about the Georgia voting rules have hurt my state.  Many companies have pulled their products from Georgia.  Atlanta's economy was hurt the hardest.  Also many states have stricter laws than Georgia including Biden's home state.  Georgia is on the fence between the two parties and it it important for the Democrats to win elections in Georgia.  That is the reason people like Abrams object to the law.

Finally, they say the law is not needed because there was no voter fraud.  I know differently.  Some Republicans received unsolicited absentee ballots in the mail.  I was one of them and I have since heard of many others who did.  When I went to vote I was  told I had already voted and I could not vote unless I had my ballot that was unused with me.  I had thrown it away.  After much protesting I was allowed to sign an affidavit and vote on paper.  Were these ballots counted???   Evidently not as I got a letter later urging me to vote as I HAD NOT voted in the 2020 election.   A friend of mind also voted by mail and traced her vote since.  She is still told they did not have or count her vote and told her she was not the only one whose vote had disappeared.  People still refer to President Trump's allegations about voter fraud being unfounded. 

They say what is good for the goose is good for the gander  That can also be reversed to say what is bad for the Democrats is bad for the Republicans.  We are all suppose to follow the same laws   Shouldn't we all want to have secure voting that is fair to everyone?
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Re: Georgia's new voting laws
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 02:31:48 AM »
I think of you when I hear about the problems in Ga. I honestly don't understand why after so many years of things going smoothly there should be so many problems...and not only in Ga.
That is terrible about your voting experience. I,too, would be irate.

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 11:12:31 AM »
I absolutely stand with you on this Snowy. There is no voter suppression to be found in this so called ‘controversial’ law and all that stuff about water and ballet boxes were lies. What’s wrong with fair elections? Everybody should want that. It’s frustrating that so many companies are harming Georgia over this.

I’m so sorry to hear about your troubles with the voting system Snowy. I’ve heard a lot of people and not just Georgians with similar stories. There was absolutely categorically fraud involved in the 2020 election. It’s just baffling to me that anyone bothers to deny it. Did the fraud change who won the presidential election....hard to know if they refuse to open a real investigation.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 01:13:01 AM »
I don't want to get into a squabble with anyone here, I'm so HAPPY to see you. I just don't think there was any fraud.
I hate to think this because I , at my age, am feeling very sad to think that our beloved FREE country may not have all the liberties that the USA stands for or portrays to the world.
I worry about what lies ahead for OUR children and grandchildren.
I see the deviceness in the United States and always pray that it stops.
However, I am not naive and know that there is a long, long way to go.

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 04:34:25 PM »
I don't know if you would call it fraud or not but I happen to know that there were Republican votes in the Fulton County precinct that did not get counted.  My friend was able to trace her vote and she called about it several times (in fact she is still calling) and she was told that there were a lot more like her who had called.  I also know that mine was not counted.  Also, a Representative had an article in the paper and told of people from different counties in Georgia who had called him with the same problem I had but they were not even allowed to vote.  I was allowed to fill out a paper ballot but found out later that it wasn't counted.  Also, I have voted at the same place for the last 22 years and the regular women I have seen working there every time had changed which was stranged since they had all been replaced.  I suppose they could have all decided not to do it anymore but it was odd that none of the familiar faces were there.
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 12:32:41 PM »
Hopefully the younger voices in America will root out some of the harmful policies and politicians. I think America is on a better track now to leave the next generation in a better place. I am so thankful that every day is not a scandal, crisis, cover up or dumpster fire. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 12:34:43 PM by ponytail »

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 03:34:57 AM »
"I don't want to get into a squabble with anyone here, I'm so HAPPY to see you. I just don't think there was any fraud.
I hate to think this because I , at my age, am feeling very sad to think that our beloved FREE country may not have all the liberties that the USA stands for or portrays to the world.
I worry about what lies ahead for OUR children and grandchildren.
I see the deviceness in the United States and always pray that it stops.
However, I am not naive and know that there is a long, long way to go."
[/quote]

I understand you, Snowbird and believe you but, I don't like to think there is any fraud/ cheating going on in this great country of ours, but, seeing snippets of news about ninga retallying in Arizona and anything else...makes me sick.

There is no real discussion here, since I know you feel as you said, and I respect your feelings as your friend.

Something has to be done. I feel like we older people are leaving this country in a very, very sad state to our children , grandchildren and those to come

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »
Hopefully the younger voices in America will root out some of the harmful policies and politicians. I think America is on a better track now to leave the next generation in a better place. I am so thankful that every day is not a scandal, crisis, cover up or dumpster fire. Just my opinion.

We must be living in two different countries.  Do you really think the younger generation with their drug-taking, not even knowing anything about the country like what are states and what are cities, nothing about history, are going to improve things.  Every day you read about someone killing their own children.  More children are raised by their grandparents now than ever before.  They are clueless about politics if you have ever listened to them being interviewed.  They just know what the college professors tell them if they even go to college.  Everywhere I go I see signs asking for workers.  No one will work with these checks they have been getting.  We are still having riots over things that happened a year ago.  I wish I had the rose-colored glasses you must be wearing.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 12:48:36 AM »

We must be living in two different countries.  Do you really think the younger generation with their drug-taking, not even knowing anything about the country like what are states and what are cities, nothing about history, are going to improve things.  Every day you read about someone killing their own children.  More children are raised by their grandparents now than ever before.  They are clueless about politics if you have ever listened to them being interviewed.  They just know what the college professors tell them if they even go to college.  Everywhere I go I see signs asking for workers.  No one will and with these checks they have been getting.  We are still having riots over things that happened a year ago.  I wish I had the rose-colored glasses you must be wearing.

I think we probably are living in two different countries. Growing up in the 60's, I remember the exact same things, if not worse, being said about our generation. I guess by 'younger' voices I should probably be more specific and say 40's or 50's. I know plenty of young ones with good work ethics, morals, and humanity--and some that are not, just like in every generation. Geez Snowbird, all I can say is January 6, 2021.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 11:45:13 AM by ponytail »

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 11:41:58 PM »
I know some good young people too.  My grandson is college age and I have met a few of both kinds.  Also know a lot of young couples that are decent but I read a lot of negative things, horrible things at times, about young parents. 
As for Jan 6th I think we both have different views about that.  They said they would impeach Trump before he ever won the election and Pelosi. etc. were not able to get rid of him that way.  They are so afraid of him they are still going after him.  They don't want him to be able to run again because they know he will try to break up their little monopoly and deceit of the people. I know you probably say all that is "hogwash" but I believe it and the signs point to the truth but people want to see through rose-colored glasses.
  I still love you my friend even if we will never agree.  You have your opinion and I respect that.   #4846

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 03:41:45 AM »
Snowbird, when you say in your post that you and ponytail have different views about Jan 6th, I just want to know what your views are about this day. And, I do not mean this in any way to argue with you.

Me:  I watched this on television, as did the rest of the world and saw terrible fighting and people being beaten and some killed and windows broken and our Senators all literally running for their lives.
They couldn't get to them or I am afraid we honestly may have seen a lynching of our Vice President, and murder of the Speaker of the House.
The Capitol is the seat of our democracy!

This week I see on tv this: Rep. Andrew Clyde,  said footage of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot looked like a "normal tourist visit"

What? !!! Is he kidding. What color glasses is he looking through?

As for the youth of this country and those from around the world, I feel there are good ones and some bad ones. This isn't just now, but it's always been this way.
Even when we were young there were riots. I saw them first hand in Newark NJ in 1967 when I was scared that the bridal shop my wedding gown was in was going to be burned down to the ground.
There are young parents today that are the same as we were, and then, you have others that are not. You can't put them all in one category.

And, Trump's name was not even in any former post here until you brought him up.
Unfortunately, since he was President then, everything he did and said in tweets we all see. They are public.
And, we did see him tell the crowd in front of him on the stage on Jan 6th that he was going to march down Pennsylvania Ave to the Capitol WITH them, but, of course, he didn't . He went back and watch just what we were watching on tv and did nothing.

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 05:33:35 PM »
I think there were probably some people in the riot that were planted there by those who wanted to take Trump down.  In fact a BLM founder was arrested with the group.  I just know that there are those who hate Trump and would do anything to get rid of him.   That is how I feel my friend.    :88:

I also don't think that all my Christian friends, except for a few, that have the same opinion I do could be wrong..  Also, my two sisters and their husbands who are ministers support Trump.  My family does except for my oldest daughter who is an atheist.  I love her but she and I have completely different opinions on everything.     

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 05:43:39 PM by Snowbird »

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 12:14:55 AM »
 All the love coming your way from freezing Nebraska!

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 08:46:12 PM »
All the love coming your way from freezing Nebraska!

I thought the world was supposed to be getting warmer.  The weather is just right here, that is for now.   :16:

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 12:07:12 AM »
It was perfect today, finally. And on Memorial Day, even better!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal