Open Floor > Books and Authors

Old Favorites

(1/1)

ponytail:
Do you have any favorite books that you have read again and again? My husband and I got hooked on a series of books by John D. McDonald--I think there is around 20 of them. All of them have a color in their title. Currently I am rereading The Empty Copper Sea. They take place in the Florida of the 60's and 70's. The main character is a weathered, dangerous hunk called Travis McGee that lives on a houseboat in Ft. Lauderdale that he won in a poker game. He takes his retirement a little at a time, and when he needs some cash, he helps people that have been scammed or ruined get their money or reputations back for 1/2 of what he recovers. Lots of great characters and story lines, lots of philosophizing, lots of excitement. It is great to be carried back to the time when I was young and see that some of the problems we are facing today were of concern back then, too!

Do you have any old favorites?

bacali:
I wish I could say that I had old favorites, but, I don't read much anymore.
I love playing one game on my tablet and watching cooking shows online too. Sorry, ponytail. I wish someone like MP would come back so you could enjoy more here.

Snowbird:
I usually don't read anything more than once but I have read Gone With The Wind several times and TO Kill a Mockingbird more than once.  Also some of Flannery O'Connors short stories I read more than once since she is from my hometown and I like her style.  Right now I am reading a book about a couple of lawyers that were murdered here back in the 50's during the time our town was celebrating the Sesquessentinual.  (I think I spelled that right)  The book Paris Trout was based on it but wasn't completely accurate so Susan Lindsley, an author from here, wrote the true facts about the murders.   

ponytail:
Loved 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. We got to see the theater version a couple months ago at the Orpheum in Omaha. Richard Thomas (John Boy) was Atticus Finch. Outstanding!

bacali:
I loved Gone with the Wind. I did read this book years ago when I could still read small print. I think it was over 1000 pages!
I have seen the movie several times.
I wonder if this movie might be one put on a list of those not permitted to be shown anymore. Now a day so many classic books are considered wrong for the younger generation to read. Ridiculous!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version