Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Remember When  (Read 50714 times)

Offline Whitesox71

• Gold Bee
Re: Remember When
« Reply #285 on: July 16, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
Remember when there were penny candy stores where you would go in and they would give you a little
brown bag and you could fill it up with all the different kinds of candy that only cost a penny each ? I was
usually given a dime and it took a really long time to make my choices! Loved it. :)

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #286 on: July 17, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »
Remember those little wax things in different shapes that you would bite off a piece of it and drink the juice inside.  I remember some being shaped like a drink bottle and some like a cowboy boot.  Also remember those wax lips you would chew to get the flavor out.  Some were also teeth and other shapes.
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #287 on: July 17, 2017, 05:31:45 PM »
Remember when....we woke up in the morning , jumped out of bed...and nothing hurt.  :whoo:
<sorry, LOL>..but, I don't have this happen anymore....showing my age, huh?

Offline Whitesox71

• Gold Bee
« Reply #288 on: November 19, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
I remember when I would go shopping with my Mom and a young man would carry our groceries out to the car. And
at the gas station when we got gas, they would wash our windows and check our oil. Now that I'm old, I really wish
we still had that kind of service!

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #289 on: November 19, 2017, 11:43:42 PM »
I remember when my mother would cook a big meal for lunch (we called that meal dinner) and cover it and leave it on the table and eat it again for dinner (we called that supper in the south).  We never got food poisoning. 
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #290 on: November 20, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
Remember when you went roller skating and you attached your skates to your shoes and tightened
them with your skate key.....then you hung your skate key around your neck ?

Offline Whitesox71

• Gold Bee
« Reply #291 on: December 10, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »
I remember when I was a kid and on summer vacation from school,
I never wore shoes. All summer I would be outside or go shopping
with Mom and was always barefoot. The stores never had those signs
that say No Shoes...No Service! :039:

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #292 on: December 10, 2017, 11:14:05 PM »
I am still barefoot at home! First thing I do when I get home is take off my shoes.

Remember hanging tinsel on your tree at Christmas? And your brothers would get tired of doing it and throw one huge last clump to the back of the tree to get rid of it!

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #293 on: March 02, 2018, 09:48:51 AM »
Remember when you read magazines? I think it was the Ladies Home Journal that used to have serial stories as a feature. You would wait and wait for the next issue to get the latest installment in the story you were reading!

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2019, 07:37:43 PM »
Remember reading actual books while on summer vacation?
 I read all the Bobbsey Twins series, and the Nancy Drew Mysteries. We didn't have any a/c and in the heat of the day, we stayed inside and read book. I had to take a bus to the library and had so much fun picking out a new book and anticipating the story.
Today's children haven't any idea what enjoyment they are missing.

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #295 on: June 17, 2019, 03:34:14 AM »
Speaking of remembering when someone came up with the idea of a program called "Growing up Milledgeville".  He got it from a place he visited that did the same thing in his town.  He put out of Facebook for people to write him stories of what they remembered from the 50's, 60's, etc.  We all got together last Saturday and told about what it was like for us. About 80 people ended up attending.  I told about growing up in the shadows of Milledgeville State Hospital.  I don't know if any of you ever heard of it but at one time it was the largest mental institution is the US.  Every time we told someone we were from Milledgeville they thought we were mentally ill!  Haha,  Not really but they did make fun of us.  Anyway, my mother was an occupational therapist and my daddy worked in the admission office and we lived right down the street from the main building.  My cousin, friends, and I used the hospital grounds with all the many sidewalks as our playground.  It was a great place to ride our bikes and skate.  Some of the patients (as we called them then) had walk out privileges and there was no reason to be afraid of them.  I broke my arm skating there and my aunt who was assistant director of nurses took me home.  We didn't have telephones on us to call our parents like they do now. 

Anyway, it was a good place to grow up and a good time to grow up.  Our parents didn't worry about us as long as we were home before dark and we roamed the whole neighborhood. 

I also told about my school days, the cloak rooms next to each classroom to keep our book satchels and coats in.  Did any of you call them that?
I told about high school and some of our favorite places to hang out. 
It was a good time and everyone enjoyed it.
A man came from Augusta, Ga. who use to be my neighbor when I was 6 and he was 7.  We didn't know it but we both had a crush on each other at the time. 

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »
Remember when ...you hadn't a worry in the world?

Offline Whitesox71

• Gold Bee
« Reply #297 on: June 22, 2019, 08:08:40 AM »

I grew up in a very small town and when I used to forget things at school(like a jacket, or
homework, or a book I needed) I used to walk back to school a couple hours after school or
even on a Saturday and was able to just walk in and get what I needed and just leave. Now
even in my small hometown, the doors are always locked and no one can enter. During school
hours you have to ring a buzzer and the secretary answers and you have to give your name
and reason for being there. There are cameras at the door so she can see whoever is there.
You have to have a good reason for being there and never can get in after hours or on Sat.

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #298 on: June 22, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
It's sad how times have changed.  I don't know if we are better off with all this technology or not.  Families use to talk to each other and now they all have phones in their hands.

Did anyone else learn to square dance at school?  In 6th grade the teacher taught us how and we went to a competition at a college campus in our state.  I had just got my arm out of a cast and thought my partner would break it again swinging me around.   We also danced on TV at a station near by.  There was a show that featured classes and they would go around and everyone had to introduce themselves.  Then the class would put on some kind of act or the TV station would show a cartoon.  Those were the days when we could just get three stations and had an antenna on the roof of our house.  They signed off every night with the national anthem. 

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #299 on: June 22, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »
Anyone remember the show "Winky Dink and You" ?

Most of our members will not remember this because they may not have been born. LOL
Here is the gist of the show I copied from google:

"winky-dink and you" was the pioneer in interactive programming. The core of the program was children sent away for a kit. The kit had a plastic screen that stuck to the TV tube with static electricity. Crayons were used to draw on the screen. When a character needed special help, children would be asked to draw on the screen, give assistance and free the character from trouble. If a character needed to cross a river with no bridge, the viewer would draw a line so a crossing could be made and escape trouble. Jack Barry, the host, emphasized inviting a friend over to watch the program; sharing in the drawing of assistance was also important. Everyone watched and helped winky-dinky in his adventures and had fun.

Well, as a really young child, I sent away for this plastic screen and sat on the floor in front of the tv, playing along.
I remember it today and all the fun my sister and I had.
Imagine trying to tell a child today how this worked. It sounds like the stone ages!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal