Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Wolf Hall/Bring Up the Bodies  (Read 1178 times)

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
Wolf Hall/Bring Up the Bodies
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »
If you have read the books, you have an idea of what this Masterpiece series is about.  It's been on in Britain and some of my friends who caught it there liked it.  I knew I wouldn't see it on the local PBS station (too late!) so I bought it at Amazon on sale.  After the first episode, I got use to the lead actor who seems to droll to be a "star" but is.  Here's my observations.

1.  It is about the role Thomas Cromwell plays from the time that Henry starts looking for a divorce.  It basically starts with the divorce and I've gotten as far as Cromwell hatching a plot to get even with those who caused said downfall.

2. The book always confused me in one instance because it seemed to jump back in time with no explanation  The mini-series clears up some points and actually enhances those periods of the book. 

Will watch more this week.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Re: Wolf Hall/Bring Up the Bodies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, it sounds like the kind of series I like to watch!

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »
There are slow spots.  I admit there were a few spots last night with episodes 3 and 4 that were flat but overall, it's good.  Cromwell has been painted black so much that it is funny to see Thomas More now getting the treatment.

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 05:49:38 PM »
Is this Cromwell's story?  If so, he was an interesting and significant man who worked for a very significant King.  Too bad Cromwell did not make a wiser choice for Henry's bride.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 02:57:50 PM »
Yes, it is Cromwell's story.  This series (and the books so far) go up to Jane Seymour.  I'm not sure when the final book will be released. 

As to the series, I'm up to Henry's visit to Wolf Hall (instigated by Creumel as Anne calls him).  If I have one major disagreement with the actors, it's with the man who plays Henry.  He seems sort of wimpy to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal