Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Week of Feb. 8th  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
Week of Feb. 8th
« on: February 08, 2015, 03:38:20 PM »
I am honored to win with such good competition.  For this week I am taking the sentence from one of the short stories in my book Julamay Loves Chancey.   Feel free to change the year and name if you wish.

It was the fall of 1947 when Sadie Garrison's happy childhood came to an abrupt end. 
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
Re: Week of Feb. 8th
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »
It was the fall of 1947 when Sadie Garrison's happy childhood came to an abrupt end. Sadie's father Frank worked for the Air force and since World War II ended he'd been stationed in New Mexico at a secret military base studying the extra-terrestrial signals the American government had intercepted when the first spy satellite at been launched by the U.S. in 1944. What you thought the Russians were first in 1957? Think again, because in September of 1947 my dad had already been studying the data for the last 8 months. But the real breakthrough had come just two months ago in July when an actual alien was captured alive in Roswell! Anyway Sadie was a pretty normal kid in most ways, except for one small thing, she was far too curious for her own good. Sneaking into a secret military base was an impressive, if foolish feat for a girl of twelve, but the real trouble came when she snuck under the tarpaulin and started sifting through the space ship wreckage where she discovered a small green ring, which had somehow been missed. Did I mention already that Sadie was a curious child? So of course she put on the ring, which immediately began to glow and subsequently became fused to her flesh thus making it impossible to remove. As the green glow from the ring grew brighter, Sadie could swear the ring was giving her a choice...

If you think the ring will transport Sadie to an alien planet turn to page 9
If you think the ring will enable Sadie to read people's thoughts turn to page 36
If you think the ring will cause Sadie to instantly grow up turn to page 112

:)

Special bonus cool points for anyone who notices my small Survivor reference!

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 06:34:22 PM »
Ummm... sorry, I didn't find it !

It was the fall of 1947 when Sadie Garrison's happy childhood came to an abrupt end. She was walking home from school, kicking dead leaves out of her way, and dilly dallying. It was a sunny day with bright blue skies showing through the red leaves of the sugar maples, and the scent of those leaves filled the air as only they could. A little further on, she jumped across a small rivulet in her path, and headed across the field, looking forward to a big glass of milk and a slice of her Mom's banana bread. But at the top of the hill she came to a sudden stop...she smelled smoke in the air, and saw billowing flames in the windows of their small white farm house. A small form in a pink house dress was slumped in the yard.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:20:51 PM »
It was the fall of 1947 when Sadie Garrison's happy childhood came to an abrupt end.
Nothing was ever quite the same, because that was the year that Sadie's beautiful Mama disappeared.
Where she went and all the circumstances surrounding her disappearance seem still, to this day, shrouded in mystery.
Her Daddy  , who always was so full of fun and laughter, never had that spirit in him ever again. He was never, ever the same and this led him to an early death because of the ache in his heart.
Some say that Iris Garrison ran away with a lover.
Others say that Iris was locked up because she had a break down.
Still , after all these years, Sadie Garrison did not know the truth.
However, today was her 18th birthday, ...another one spent in sadness.
So she vowed to herself.that she would find out the truth.
She just could not marry and raise a family of her own , until she found out what happened to her Mama .
Today would be the beginning of this quest !

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Here is the beginning paragraph of Sabie's Story from my book ]Julamay Loves Chancey.

It was the early fall of 1947 when Sabie Garrison's happy childhood came to an abrupt end.  She was on the sidewalk in front of her house playing hopscotch with her younger brother, Little Jack.  Little Jack was named Jack Henry Garrison, Jr. after Papa, and there had been a long discussion on what to call him.  Mama had not exactly liked the name Henry and she wanted to call him Jackie, but Papa thought that was too sissified, so they settled on Little Jack.

Now, if you would like to read about what REALLY caused Sabie's happy childhood to come to an end, here is a link to my book.
http://www.amazon.com/Julamay-Loves-Chancey-Bonnie-Snow/dp/1300758295
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal