Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: La La Land  (Read 2958 times)

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
La La Land
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:25:48 PM »
La La Land is...
The story of Mia, an aspiring actress, and Sebastian, a dedicated jazz musician, struggling to make ends meet while pursuing their dreams in a city known for destroying hopes and breaking hearts. ....LA.
I watched it last night and I enjoyed it but I really don't know why it seems to have been given so many nominations. They say ...as many as the Titanic movie....( and to the exclusion of a movie such as "Dory")
Maybe it's because the young people of today haven't ever had a movie like this with singing and dancing and "romance" .... the pure kind.... not vividly shown.
There aren't any aliens or rocket ships.......just a lovely love story with singing and dancing.
I hope because of this that Hollywood makes similar movies in the future.
I know most of you ladies might enjoy the movie like I did, but, I am positive that my husband would not.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
Re: La La Land
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:52:58 AM »
It's something different.  I think La La Land is popular because of the love story.  I'm having a hard time with the number of noms myself.  I'm guessing there just wasn't that much the Oscar judges wanted to choose from.  And it's not young people doing the nominating.  That's one of the complaints.  It's older people.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Actually, people, in general, haven't seen this kind of a movie ..... in I don't remember how long.
Maybe it's just that having a movie which is thoroughly clean with no violence and space and superheroes.... is sort of .... unique.

I did enjoy it, ...didn't think that the actors had such terrific voices or dancing.....but, I guess I'm comparing this to  the older musical movies I was brought up on. A lot of them made before my time... where the dancing and singing was really outstanding. .. All the Fred Astaire , Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Gene Kelly movies...and then West Side Story, Grease, Gigi, .... I could go on. They were "in" way back when. They were good , clean entertainment...and have lasted the test of time with them still being shown and many time refurbished.

So, as I said... I hope this will bring back this genre to us all again.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
I was brought up on those movies also.  Loved Singing in the Rain, White Christmas, Holiday Inn, Sound of Music..... 

Most actors/actresses today are experienced in certain styles.  Anne Hathway was scared to sing the first time she did.

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »
I love old movies in general and musicals in particular so I am interested in seeing La La Land and I'm very glad to hear it's a clean movie because frankly Hollywood seems to have lost whatever interest it once had in making family films (not just kid movies but movies that all ages can enjoy) so I want to see this one and hopefully the interest will be high enough to generate more old-style films. Down with graphic sex and violence (aka 'realism' to Hollywood) and up with films that make you feel good! I don't want to go to a movie and see gushing blood, bad language and bad behavior I want...'Arsenic and Old Lace'!

Might I also add the title of my favorite musical 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' to the growing list of musical favorites.  :clap:

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:33:57 PM »
Not at all pertaining to this movie topic....but,talking about "old" movies ...I just watched "White Christmas" a few weeks ago...also "Penny Serenade" with Gary Grant and Irene Dunn.
If you ever get a chance...watch "Somewhere In Time" with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.... love it!
I , as I have said in many posts, have my 2 little grandchildren here every Thursday. I have had them since they were about 5 months old.
Well, my little Liam who is now in kindergarten didn't have to take a nap this past summer.
However, our little Ava who just was 3 a few weeks ago, did.
So....what to do with him on a 100 degree day while she napped.
I started out "renting" movies On Demand and found him .... falling asleep snuggling on top of me. So, I thought... this is silly paying ...even $3.99 /movie.
So, I had dvr'd West Side Story. I had it dvr'd for the longest time.
So, that next week, after lunch, when Ava took her nap.... I told Liam.... I have this great movie. .... and explained it to him. OMG. He loved it....West Side Story.
Sure, he fell asleep ... poor baby, ...but, next week we "resumed" it. You can not imagine how he loved it so much he knows the songs word for word ..now!!
He told his Daddy( my son, Bobby) he wanted to be a Jet... like the Jet gang.
Bobby thought he meant that he wanted to be a Jet football fan rather than a Giant fan. LOL I was almost in trouble. LOL
Next, I found " Grease"....he loves this, too. His favorite song...is " Greased Lightning" ...to which he mimics "Zuko", and does the dance. He is so precious....but, I know I'm prejudiced.
We're taking a break now with dance movies and have watched...in case you didn't know.... 5 Home Alone movies.
But, honestly ...although it sounds terrible... when you pick up a little fella at 2:30 every day during the horrible winter and have him for 3 hours ... you can only "play" so much.... then we sit...and on comes a movie.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »
I have god children and have  bunch of music.  If you haven't tried "Hello Dolly" it's good but not for your grandson.  I love "On the Town" and "American in Paris".  Can you tell, I grew up on these things.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:52:12 PM »
 I got together with 3 friends this week and we watched Sound of Music! Love it. I couldn't count the times I've watched it. Also South Pacific and My Fair Lady. I'll have to give La La Land a try.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »
I know what you mean.
The Sound of Music was on tv in Dec and I wasn't going to watch it... I have seen it so many times...but...just put it on for a second and I was singing along and finally taped it ...for Liam. Loved it.

Offline Macks

• Copper Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 10:46:09 AM »
I recently watched La La Land and I sadly have to say that testogen works that it felt so underwhelming. Maybe I've built it up too much in my mind after reading so many good things about it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:50:13 AM by Macks »

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 03:55:58 PM »
Glad you joined us, Macks! I tried to watch La La Land but just couldn't get into it. The next musical I want to see is Hamilton. Not on Broadway of course, but next year a touring company will be putting on a performance near where I live.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal