Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Guns in schools  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
Guns in schools
« on: November 12, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
A couple of weeks ago we had a 5th grader bring an unloaded gun to one of our 3rd through 5th grade schools.  Friday we had another incident in another 3rd - 5th grade schools where a 3rd grader brought a loaded gun to school and it went off when he was at his desk getting things out of the bag.  The bullet luckily went into the tile floor.  No one was hurt.  The teacher had the rest of the class sitting on the rug in the front of the room reading to them and the little boy with the gun was late for school so he was at his desk in the back.  It was discovered that this was a stolen gun that was missing from a house in October.  The child said he had no idea how the gun got in his bag which of course may or may not be true.  The mother said she had no idea where the gun came from. 
This incident could have had a tragic ending.  Thank God no one was hurt.  But what is this world coming to when something like these two incidents happen?  What can we do to make this a safe place to raise children? 
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline Court

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
    • The Reality Buzz
Re: Guns in schools
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:49:58 AM »
That is so scary. Thankfully no one was hurt. I really hate guns.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
I live in the county so "old school" boys are raised with hunting and fire arms.  There is still a "rifle club" as part of the Future Farmers of America.  Sometimes they bring their rifles to school for practice after school but they have guidelines they must maintain.  I'm sure others sneak their rifles with them as they prepare to hunt.  Of course, this is high school.

Back in my teen years (many years ago), every child was taught the dangers and uses of firearms.  I admit I would rather fire a rifle than anything else.  Back in those days, though, kids were brought up to respect their elders and each other.  Now it seems that if you have  a beef -- anything goes.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »
I do not like guns. Period!
My older son has to have one / or more than one ?? I don't know. It's in his line of work as a sheriff.
I just know that I don't even like looking at it ,even as he takes it out to put away..... because I know what it can do.

Since I've not been raised or have I lived in the areas of our country that guns are part of life for hunting or sports, I am not saying that I don't want to" understand "why they may be used for these "fun" things...although, ....for me... personally. I could never kill an animal. For me...this would NEVER be fun. But... now....

This topic here of "Guns in Schools " . I have a different view about.
And, this view is not about children in school EVER having guns...THEY SHOULD NOT.... but, another topic.... about guns in school, ......this is a thread topic that has several ways to be interpreted.

My son who is only in his mid-40's is set to retire. Yes... retire soon with full benefits ...having been in the sheriff's dept for 25 years.
One of the jobs he could take after his retirement ...since he is so fully trained (he is also a member of the Swat team in our County in NJ) is being in an undercover police position in some local schools.
Not a lot of people are qualified to take on this position , but people in his line of work, who are young and knowledgeable are.
I, hope to God, that we never, ever, ever hear of any shooting in any schools, but, even with all the securities taken with alarms and doors, having these trained professionals are the only reason I would want "guns in schools".

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
I don't like guns in schools but Southern cultures prevail.  Before we had the influx of non-locals, most of the families knew each other and went back forever.  Many of the incidents we have had are with "newcomers" who want to be hunters.

That being said, it scares me to death -- especially when i see elementary school age -- involved.  I wonder about the home life situations.  How could parents allow this to happen!  Supervision isn't supposed to fall to the schools but to the parents.

Knowing what I know about campus, I know that we have had an almost incident a few years ago.  A young lady who wasn't a student came after her old boyfriend -- and yes, mental issues were involved.  I look out my window periodically and look at those book bags and wonder -- guns??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal