Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Always Remember  (Read 1676 times)

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Always Remember
« on: September 11, 2018, 02:16:25 AM »

https://vimeo.com/188560917?outro=1

Let us all remember Sept 11th with a prayer.  -Americanflag-
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:19:21 AM by bacali »

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
Re: Always Remember
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:53:26 AM »
Thank you, Bacali.  As MP reflected upon 9/11, one thought, one hope transcended all others.  In this era when our country seems so divided, hostile and tribal, remembering 9/11 and its’ aftermath caused MP to recall a time when we all belonged to only one tribe, Americans.   As brief as it might have been, the thought gave MP a ray of hope for better times ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wucTW_Y5hgU

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 01:34:30 PM »
I remember the day so well.  The skies were clear here, a Carolina blue.  I had to step out of the office and my student worker told me to call home when I returned.  My mom was upset.  When I did, I found out the first tower had been hit.  I sent the student for a television set (across the hall), and we got it on as the second tower got hit.  Every Tuesday, we have a College Coffee and the band was supposed to play.  It just didn't seem right and I headed to check.  By that time, word was filtering through.  No one wanted to go to College Coffee.  People were huddled around the television watching in disbelief as the towers fell.  Add to that I had a recent grad who was in New York auditioning.  He didn't have to be there until later in the late and stopped to get coffee with a friend in the Bronx.  He saw the tower fall.  One friend worked at a hospital.  She went downstairs to assist if anyone came in the emergency room.  She had to walk home but couldn't stay there and ended up back at the hospital, but they had no more to admit.  One former student served soup to those on the line.

I think that the 911 event made we respect people more.  Not only were we all humans during that time but we respected each other for what we brought to the table.  Sure, there were some issues, but we learned from that.  It's not like today.  I'm not sure what would happen now.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 03:07:52 PM »
Linda, I'd like to believe that we all would do the FIRST thing that came to our minds....and it would be exactly what we did 17 years ago.
I know for sure, that I would forget politics as I hysterically cried. I know that my volunteer fireman husband would race to our firehouse, I know that New York's Finast would rush to the burning towers. I know if faced with a disaster like this on our homeland, we would all band together.... I amost can say this without thinking.

I live right across from the landscape of NY and took these twin towers for granted.
I had been to them a few times, ...there was a restaurant and lounge on the top floor looking over the city.
Here in NJ, exactly 2 weeks before this happened my husband and I had gone to dinner on a lovely evening and had to wait for a table at a restaurant on the Hudson River/ NJ side.
No matter what season it was, if it were a sunny day, when the sun set it shone onto the glass windows of the World Trade Center. which made the glass windows glow red and appear to be as if they were on fire.
That was the last time I saw them, ...that evening...beautifully glowing!

Later on Sept 11th, 2001, I rode to the other side of our town. Throngs of people were all over as we watched the smoke. American flags were popping up all over.  It was something that I pray to God none of us ever have to live through again.

I lost two people I knew that day. One was a young man my son had gone all through school with. He was a newlywed with a 6 month old baby.
Another, a friend I had chatted with for years who worked in the city.

Yes, for me, today brings back terrible, terrible feelings and memories. And, then....tonight when I go out on my back deck, I shall see the twin lights shining into the sky. Then, I will say another prayer, and this time, I will also say one to end this division of our great country.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:56:56 AM by bacali »

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 12:55:31 AM »
I was working at Sprint and while I didn't work with the public any longer I had been a trouble tech years previously (hence my username Trouble405)  Everyone helped take calls that day because most cell calls were redirected to our offices as all the towers were redirected to first responders. I took calls from parents desperate to know if their son or daughters phone was pinging anywhere because that at least meant they were alive.  It was a day I will never forget and phone calls I will never forget.
Here's to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.

Offline Court

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
    • The Reality Buzz
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
I can still remember this day very clearly. I was only young at the time, around 11 years old. We were outside at recess when a school mate of mine returned to school after appointment. I was sitting facing the baseball diamond when she told us the news about what had happened. I didn’t believe her as she was known to be a bit of a story teller. I can remember thinking that there’s no way that this could have possibly happened, these types of things don’t happen.

I remember getting home from school and seeing my parents glued to the tv. The only thing I can think of that comes to mind when I recall seeing it for the first time is complete horror and shock.

My parents were watching Regis and Kelly when the first plane hit. They watched everything that happened next as it all went down.

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »
I was in the classroom with my students when the first one hit and didn't have the TV on.  I had to go see another teacher about something and walked into her room to see her looking at the TV with the picture on of the first building.  It was a shock to say the least.  Of course I turned on my TV when I returned and saw the 2nd building being hit.  My students were sitting silently which did not happen often.

My husband's birthday happens to be Sept. 11th.  Since I lost him 9/11 has been especially sad.
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal