Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Wheel of Time  (Read 647 times)

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Wheel of Time
« on: November 05, 2021, 12:45:50 AM »
Amazon is set to premiere this epic fantasy on Nov. 19! I am so excited for this show, just as much as I was for Game of Thrones. I read all the books from the very first (which was in the 90's I think) to the very last (a few years ago). There were 14 of them altogether, and the author died before the last 3 could be written. His wife hired another fantasy writer to complete the story using the author's notes, so we got a conclusion after all. It is set in a fantasy world, medieval in nature and has fascinating characters and story lines. My son and I read the books as they came out, and sent them back and forth to each other over the miles. Looking very much forward to it. All the pre show hype, actor interviews, and trailers have looked amazing! The showrunner/director is a former Survivor contestant--Rafe who came in 3rd in his season (11 I believe).

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
Re: Wheel of Time
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 12:31:53 PM »
My friend Marti and I read the series years ago.  She made it through all books.  I stopped at the fifth.  I plan to give it a try.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »
Glad to hear that Linda! I have high hopes for this show--love what I've seen in the trailers.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 12:49:06 AM »
I watched the first 3 episodes and really liked them! It is a bonus that I have read the books and so know (generally) how the story line will go, and a little about the world. LOTS of complaining from the die hard readers that have read the books multiple times and are incensed that this or that was left out or changed. Major complaining that they are skewing the ratings of the show and sabotaging it for the rest of us. It is a major undertaking and could well go 8-10 seasons to cover all the books. Hope it will stay the course.

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »
I've been busy but did do a recap for All My Screens on episode one.  Marti pointed out the discrepancies to me.  Here's the write up I did.

The Wheel of Time

“The Wheel of Time” began this week on Amazon Prime.  I wasn’t sure whether to watch it or not but I am familiar with the story.  I read the first five books in the 1990s and had friends who completed them all.  Let me just say, it’s a complicated story with a wide array of characters and often, you lose track of who these people are.  I have friends who still have their character encyclopedia they composed so they could keep the characters straight.  So, buckle up.  If you think “Lord of the Rings” was complicated, you haven’t seen anything yet.

Let’s get this straight for the readers.  “The Wheel of Time” isn’t the name of the first book.  The title of book one is “The Eye of the World.”  It introduces us to Moiraine and Lan who have a quest ahead of them.  They must find the Dragon and keep him/her in the light (or destroy if he/she is evil).  That’s right.  No one has a clue of who this person is.  Moiraine only knows that he/she has been born. 

Amazon’s first episode is called “Leave Taking” and in actuality is based on the first book of the series.  In many ways, you don’t understand this until the last 20 minutes of the episode.  The story tells of Moiraine and Lan, her bodyguard, leaving the Aesi Sedai on the search for the Dragon.  The Dragon’s return has been seen by one of the Aesi Sedai that was born with white eyes and blind.  They finally arrive at the town of Two Rivers which is located in the mountains and steeped in the Old Ways.  They have a  town is led by the women with a Wisdom lady (who can never marry) serving as the head of the town.  As the viewer arrives in Two Rivers, they find that a new recruit is being inducted into the Women’s Circle, Egwene.  She gets her braid and must survive a fall from the cliff into the river.

That night, a party is held.  When Egwene arrives, the party kicks up a notch and the celebration really begins.  During the party, we are introduced to four key people who will play the main roles during the story  (in addition to Moiraine and Lan).  After the party, Egwene and Rand, her lover, clean up.  Unfortunately, they as a married couple are not to be as Egwene has been asked  to apprentice under the present Wisdom, Nynaeve.  This means a life of loneliness.  We do not learn until later that Nynaeve does not like the Aesi Sedai to which Moiraine belongs.  Nynaeve was adopted by the former Wisdom who had hoped to become an Aesi Sedai but was refused membership because she was poor and of small build.  Let’s just say that this will probably color Egwene’s opinion of Moiraine as the story moves forward.

Moiraine and Lan continue their search the next day:  Moiraine for the Dragon and Lan for problems (Trollocs).  All seems peaceful but a stranger arrived unknown to all during a storm the night before.  Nynaeve and Egwene sense a change in the tone of the wind but no time to figure it out then as the town has a memorial service to attend that night.

At the memorial service, people light lanterns and put them in the river and they float downstream (think Chinese Lantern celebration).  As the party moves back to the town (after the sad service), people start to dance and sing.  Suddenly, the Trollocs attack.  The Trollocs work for the Dark One as his army.  Their one goal is to destroy goodness and stop the Aesi Sedai.  The Dark One knows that the Dragon is somewhere.  As the fight starts (on a set only used for this episode) the town is destroyed.  So are the Trollocs with Moiraine’s white magic and calling the stone from the buildings to destroy the Trollocs.   Moiraine has figured out that the Dragon is one of four people from Two Rivers.  She may have stoped the Trollocs but for how long and at what cost?

As the town regroups, Rand, Egwene, Perrin and Mat are told they must leave with Moraine and Lan to draw the Dark One’s army away.  Rand blames Moraine (for his father’s injury and the attack) but his father (who was saved by Moiraine) signals he must go.  Already the army can be seen on a mountain nearby.  Horses are brought and six ride out.  All do not want to leave as Rand blames Moiraine for the attack.  Knowing that their staying, they must leave even though Mat wants to stay with his sisters and Perrin has lost his wife, Laila.  The Trollocs and Dark One will only go where they think the Dragon is.  Egwene doesn’t know what to make of all that has happened. 

As the ride begins, Moiraine reminds us of the quest as they travel to the White Tower:

The Wheel of Time and come and pass leaving memories that become legends.
Legends become myth and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again.

The next episode will be dropped November 19th. 

I’ve watched fantasy before.  I was a huge fan of “Once Upon a Time” and the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.  I’m not sure how I feel about this one.  I will say that the cast, especially the relative unknowns, seem to be able to handle what is thrown at them.  Rosamund Pike is going to be a strong lead as Moiraine and will do wonders in the role.  I wasn’t a fan of “Game of Thrones” as I found the books and the series too bloody (remember the Red Marriage).  I will definite watch the second episode. 

And remember, this wasn’t my usual type of recap.  I just wanted you to have background on a new series that has promise.  Oh, and by the way.  Bezos tells us that it won’t last 15  years (one book per  year) and the second year has already been filmed.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 01:22:18 AM »
The first episode is very rushed, and if you haven't read the books, I'm sure very confusing. Episodes 2 and 3 are more settled, and once the initial concepts of this world are grasped by everyone I think it will fall into place. I watched it twice, and the second time through I picked up on a lot of small moments that I overlooked the first time. I like how he has left the Dragon Reborn a mystery for us all to figure out (as if us book readers didn't know), and I don't mind the inconsistencies--like Mat's character, Perrin's wife, the Whitecloaks (so villianous!), and the Aes Sedai gentling of Logain. A few places are changed up, some characters don't appear when and where they should--stuff like that to cut down the enormity of the story or give background to the development of the characters.

Thanks for doing this, Linda!

Offline LindaM

• Buzzified
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 08:30:29 PM »
Truthfully, haven't had time to watch the other episodes.  Now I know how to send them to the television and plan to do so.  I'm also happy because I just got AMC+ for $1.99 a month for a year.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 12:45:24 AM »
The end of episode 4 is a treat!

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 10:28:08 AM »
Another fun thing to do is listen for the whistling, and then try to find Padan Fain in the episodes. Like 'Where's Waldo'! I really love the character development, and Loial was a treat!

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 12:53:34 AM »
Enjoyed episode 6 immensely! Lots of growling by the bookies about things left out and changed, but I am enjoying it for what it is. Episode 7 is the Waygates and I hear Min will finally show up!

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 01:20:03 AM »
Furthering the last comment--all the fans are calling the grumblers bookcloaks now. You have to have watched the show to know how droll this is!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal