Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey  (Read 347 times)

Offline Outlast

• Buzzified
The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
« on: November 09, 2022, 09:32:32 PM »
I just finished reading 'The Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tey. This mystery (is it really?) novel is about 75 years old, but I just read it for the first time after seeing it on a list of greatest mysteries of all time. It's on odd book because it basically all takes place in one room. Our protagonist Alan Grant is a Scotland Yard man who is laid up in hospital with a broken leg (this is set in the time when you stayed in the hospital until you were well which makes this feel like a fantasy novel now) and he is bored stiff so his friend tries to interest him in a cold case. The case that finally catches his fancy is the murder of the princes in the tower popularly attributed to their uncle Richard III. Being unable to leave the bed, he investigates the case by reading history books and getting visitors to find information for him.

I wouldn't have expected a book set in one room to hold my interest, but I really enjoyed taking this deeper look at fifteenth century history and if the information provided in the book is correct, Tey lays out a very good case for Richard's innocence, laying the blame for the young princes' death at another royal's feet quite convincingly.

Has anyone here ever read it? And do you think Tey may be right about who really killed the princes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daughter_of_Time
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_III_of_England

« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 09:34:34 PM by Outlast »

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Re: The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 01:04:27 AM »
It sounds fascinating, Outlast! I still like to read and watch old Sherlock Holmes books and movies.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal