Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:46:17 PM »
I am beginning this board with one of my favorite books. 
I would like to request that a new topic be used for each book instead of going from one book to another, or one author to another, on the same topic.  This will allow members to search the topics to see which book/author they would like to discuss.

Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Re: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »
I know that I have read To Kill A Mockingbird at least 20 times, more than any other book ever written.  The main reason for this is that I read it to all of my Language classes that I taught the last four years before I retired.  We also watched the video. 

In my opinion, it is one book that is hard to put down, and although it is easy reading, it is also a well written book.  Being a Southerner I can relate to the plot, and being an old Southerner I can relate to that time period. 

The thing many people wonder about it why Harper Lee never wrote another book.  Was she afraid that another book would not be as good and would disappoint her fans, was it that she didn't have the imagination for another book, or was it just too much work?

Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:04:09 PM »
Thanks for answering my question about Harper Lee.  I was going to ask whether she had written anything else.  Pure speculation, but could she have tried and just given up in frustration that she couldn't approach Mockingbird?  Reminds me of a legend/story about Olivier.  One night, he gave what those who saw it considered it to be the perfect performance of Lear.  After giving his final bows, he came off of the stage and was absolutely furious, storming into his dressing room.  His assistant supposedly entered his dressing room timidly and asked why Olivier was so angry.  Olivier said, "did you see my performance?" His assistant replied "yes, and it was the greatest performance of Lear I've ever seen.  Why are so you angry?"  Olivier is said to have responded "because I don't know whether I'll ever be able to do it again."  Once you've been to the top of the mountain can you ever settle for less of a view?

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »
I read in the book Mockingbird that was written about Harper Lee that she was reclusive and regretted losing her privacy.  It said she did work on a second book but has never finished it.  She was also friends with Truman Capote and helped him research the book In Cold Blood.  Then he dedicated it to her but gave her little credit for all she did to help him with it.

Her life was much like Scout in the book as far as how she grew up.  Atticus was very much like her father who was a lawyer.

Offline Prairie Dawn

• Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:06:03 PM »
One of my favorite books.  Like MP, I wondered why she did not write another book.  I was thrilled when my daughter had to read it in high school.  We read it together and had many amazing discussions about the book.  Reading it again was like visiting an old friend.  It was so much fun to see my daughter get excited about a book (at the time her life revolved around horses, nothing else).  Lol, I would not let her see the movie until she read the book. 

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:28:03 AM »
It was one of the few movies made from a novel that stuck to the plot of the book.  We had some interesting discussions in my classroom about how things were in the south.  My class consisted of black and white students that were learning disabled, mildly intellectually impaired, and behavior disordered. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal