Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Stephen King  (Read 3893 times)

Online Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
Stephen King
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:39:55 PM »
Has anyone read Under The Dome by Stephen King?  Is anyone planning to watch the TV series based on the book?

I have just started reading it and haven't gotten very far.  It is a long, long book!
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Re: Stephen King
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »
You'll have to let us know what you think of it--I like some of his books, and some of them are awful. I loved 11/23/63 or whatever that date was!

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 08:05:22 AM »
I agree w/Ponytail regarding King.  I really liked his early work, e.g., The Shining, Carrie, but I found his later work uneven.  I have not read Under the Dome.  I believe PD might have.  PD, would you care to weigh in?

Online Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »
The TV series starts in June I think.  I will try to do recaps of the show. 
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline Court

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
    • The Reality Buzz
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »
I don't tend to do well with anything scary.  I've read some of his books and seen some of the movies, some aren't do bad but others scare me. Is his new one scary?

Online Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 01:06:33 AM »
It's about a town that gets covered by a dome and no one can get in and no one can get out.  I have only begun reading it and so far a plane crashed into the dome as well as some vehicles on the ground.  Some people and animals had the dome fall on them and cut parts of their bodies off. 

Offline Prairie Dawn

• Buzzified
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 01:14:04 PM »
Hi from sunny California! I have read Under the Dome and I loved it.  I do like his earlier books better though. 

Looking forward to the miniseries.

Offline sherylk

• Gold Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 12:05:18 AM »
I love reading, but don't like to read scary books anymore. This one sounds like it may be interesting though. Read IT by Stephen King and had nightmares for years (couldn't even watch that movie when it came out)...still don't like to go by sewers..lol

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »
I don't mind scary stories as much as I do scary movies. You wouldn't catch me at one of those. As long as it is a good story and not just blood, gore and torture, I don't mind a good scare.

Online Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »

Online Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 11:33:56 AM »
I am just about finished reading the 1072 page book.  I am almost afraid to finish the book because so many bad things have already happened to people I have become attached to and I know there is probably more to come.  I am looking forward to the TV series.  I hope it is as good as the book.

Online Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
Is anyone else watching the TV series Under the Dome?  I am very disappointed in it because it has strayed so far from the book.  I would probably enjoy it more if I had not read the book.

What I have heard is they changed it because if it was a hit they intended to continue with it next season.  However, I do not see the need in changing so many  characteristics of the characters.  For instance, they have made the councilman a little bit bad but not like he was in the book.  He was pure evil.  The main character in the book was a very decent guy who had been in Iraq and was put in charge by the Army after the dome went down.  He seems a little shady in the series.  No person in the story seems to be exactly like in the book, married or not married, killers are nice, etc. 

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
I have been watching it Snowbird, and I like it because I haven't read the book! That happens so often doesn't it--I will probably read it after the series is done for the summer to see what the story is really about!

Offline Prairie Dawn

• Buzzified
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
Is anyone else watching the TV series Under the Dome?  I am very disappointed in it because it has strayed so far from the book.  I would probably enjoy it more if I had not read the book.

What I have heard is they changed it because if it was a hit they intended to continue with it next season.  However, I do not see the need in changing so many  characteristics of the characters.  For instance, they have made the councilman a little bit bad but not like he was in the book.  He was pure evil.  The main character in the book was a very decent guy who had been in Iraq and was put in charge by the Army after the dome went down.  He seems a little shady in the series.  No person in the story seems to be exactly like in the book, married or not married, killers are nice, etc.

Snow, I had a feeling you might say that after you read the book!

I am a bit upset by how far they have strayed in the tv series but I do understand that some of the content is far too "graphic" for tv.

I do not like the way Barbie is being portrayed either! In the book I really liked his character, on the tv show, he is not as likeable.  Also, they have really toned down the mayor....a little too much!

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »
Adding to the Stephen King theme--I started reading his newest--Dr. Sleep--today. It is a story about the boy from The Shining, now all grown up. So far so good. And it must be one of his shorter ones, only 500+ pages!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal