Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Desserts  (Read 2084 times)

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Desserts
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »
Neapoltan Cake

easy, easy!

1 boxed white cake
1 boxed chocolate cake
1 recipe cream cheese frosting
strawberry flavoring

Makes 2 cakes

Mix up the white cake according to package instructions and spread 1/2 in the bottom of two cake pans. Mix the chocolate cake and place 1/2 on each of the white cakes, carefully spreading to the edges, or as close as you can get. It won't be perfect. Bake as directed.
When cakes are cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting. Tint the frosting pink and add strawberry flavoring to taste.

You can also make a fun layer cake this way, stacking one layer of each--that is if you have enough cake pans....

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Re: Desserts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
Never Fail Pie Crust

(I make lots of pies, and this crust has never let me down, always flaky and tender)

3 c. flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 c lard or 1 1/2 c Crisco--I use Crisco
1 egg
1 tsp vinegar
5 tbsp. water

Mix flour, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening (forks or pastry cutter). Beat egg, vinegar and water and add to flour mixture. The sugar makes a flakier crust.

This recipe makes 2 double crusts. I sometimes make single crusts, bake them, and freeze them for later use. I have also taken leftover crust, made a flattened round, and frozen it for later use, and that works well, too.

If you like to make mini-pies, you can usually squeeze 3 mini-pies, and one double crust out of this recipe.

Delicious!

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:15:15 PM »
Gee, I sure wish you lived closer.... sounds good..and you are so ambitious in the kitchen.
My ambition there...got up and left a long time ago.

When I did have ambition... you can take left over crust and roll it flat and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Then roll it like a jellyroll and slice. Put these little "cookies" into the oven... 350 for a few min and they are very good.
In fact, my huband hides them from the kids, or used to when they lived at home.  -rollinglaugh-

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »
Just made a bunch of these today, for a friend who is having a dessert bar at her daughter's wedding. We also make these for our High Tea every year. They are delish!
Pecan Praline Tarts
i/2 c butter
1 sm pkg (4oz) cream cheese
1 1/4 c flour
1 egg
3/4 c dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c pecans, chopped
Pastry--Mix together 1st 3 ingredients (butter, cream cheese, flour). Place about 1 tsp of pastry in each cup of mini muffin pan. Shape into shells using fingertips to press the dough to the sides.
Filling--Beat egg well and then beat in sugar and salt. Add butter, vanilla and nuts. Mix unti[ smooth. Fill pastry cups. Bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes.

These little tarts are like mini pecan pies. So good!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 04:13:12 PM by ponytail »

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 05:47:54 PM »
Again, ponytail, I want to live closer to you.  :)  These sound so good, but, I want to come to HIGH TEA! 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal