Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: Wear those seatbelts!  (Read 2224 times)

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Wear those seatbelts!
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:59:30 PM »
So sad for my grandson today. Last night 4 of his classmates rolled their car, 3 died, one is fighting for his life. These 16 year old boys have been his classmates, friends, and teammates for the past 5 years. Speed was a factor, and none of them were wearing seat belts. Senseless. Devastating to a small community.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
Re: Wear those seatbelts!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 11:03:30 PM »
Oh, How terribly awful! As I read this I have chills.
Kids can't get  their driver's license until 17, here, but, my oldest grandchild... a girl will get her permit soon when she turns 16 in July.
Then more worries for us all.
I just can't imagine how people go on when this happens. Those poor , poor families.
I have told the story here already....but, I almost lost my oldest son to a car accident. He wasn't wearing a seat belt either and crashed into the windshield upon impact when in an accident.
He lived but,he  had alot of rehabilitation to do ..and had hundreds of stitches in his face and head...he broke his pelvis and was bed ridden in a hosp bed for quite awhile.
And, believe it or not... this still didn't teach my husband....to put his seatbelt on. ...nor this son. Just stupidity to me.

Offline Prairie Dawn

• Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:09:58 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this.  We had a period in our town where one accident after another, in a very short period of time, took the lives of over 10 high school students. 

So very tragic and sad.  My heart goes out to your grandson.

Offline Snowbird

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
  • “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
Ponytail,  I am so sorry to hear this.  I know there is much sadness in your community tonight.  It seems that around the end of each school year we hear about this happening more and more.  The kids just don't realize they are not as experienced as they need to be when they first get their license and should be extra careful.  I don't see how families and friends can get over losing a child or friend.  My heart go out to you and prayers for the families involved.

When my youngest daughter was in school two boys she knew were killed in an accident with a train.  One boy in the back lived and he always had such feelings of guilt because he was alive and they weren't.  When he was in college he ran from the police and crashed his car into the 2nd floor of a college dorm.  He went airborne that high he was speeding so fast. 
Our lives end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Offline sherylk

• Gold Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »
Death is never an easy thing, even harder when its due to a tragedy. But nothing could be worse than losing your child! My heart goes out to all families involved and to your grandson for losing his friends. I have never had to bury a friend yet and hope I NEVER have to bury a child. Seatbelts really DO save lives, but of course teenagers (we have all been there), think they are invincible. So sad...

Offline Court

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
    • The Reality Buzz
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 06:08:17 AM »
Death is always horrible, I could never imagine having to bury a child. I feel so bad for those families.  When my sister was in high school there were two car accidents that killed two boys. One of the boys in one of the accidents was from my town the other happened in my town a few minutes from my house, was a result of drinking and driving and injured a bunch of young teenagers in the car and killed one boy who was the driver.  I still remember my dad's beeper going off, he was a volunteer firefighter at the time, and to this day I can still remember hearing that beeper go off.  My sisters school handled the death in a rather different manner, they were able to get the van parked right across the street, completely uncovered to serve as a reminder, what can happen when you drink and drive.

Offline sherylk

• Gold Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 12:17:28 AM »
Court...Every year the high school nearby and a Tux rental store each have a car in front of the school/business that has been involved in a serious accident (smashed beyond recognition) as a reminder of what can happen when you drink and drive (this is done during prom season).

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
I never wore a seat belt until I was in my early twenties.  Why did I start then?  Because my girlfriend threatened to break up with me if I didn't.  I am grateful to her to this day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal