Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... twitter

Author Topic: The Winter Olympics  (Read 2171 times)

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
The Winter Olympics
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
Is anyone other than me looking forward to the Winter Olympic Games?
I always love the background stories that they tell about these participants. Some are so heart warming, and of course , once you "know" who they are and how they and their families have worked and sacrificed for this one chance...how can you not get involved?
I just feel so sick ...really sick...about all these terrorist threats putting a damper on the games this year.
If I were a parent of a child, in any of the sports, I would really right now not know what to do.
Should I go to Sochi, Russia or should I stay home?
There are so many reasons to go... I want to actually BE there to watch first hand my child and my country and cheer them on . I have waited probably years and years for this moment.
But, Americans have been told NOT to wear anything patriotic to stand out in the crowd... the athletes have been told this too.
Also, by going...I want these sick people who hate us to see they have not, at all, change my way of life...my pride in my child and my pride in my  wonderful country.
These people are so jealous of our freedoms and by going... I would show them that I am free!!   
But... on the other hand, should I think realistically and wonder if my being present in Russia might distract my child with worry about me. If I stayed home they wouldn't have to worry about my safety and they could concentrate on their competition.
After all... realistically... our way of life , whether we want to admit it or not has changed.
Anyway, some families are going and I've read some are not... but, one way or the other....the Olympics are almost here and I look forward to chatting away with all of you about some of the sports.
Let us know which ones you're watching. There are so many events, that I find it hard to keep track. So if you know that there is an exciting one coming up... let us all know ...so we don't miss it.
This way we can all talk about it.
Let's go ...USA  -Americanflag- and Canada -Canadian-!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:08:53 PM by bacali »

Offline Court

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
    • The Reality Buzz
Re: The Winter Olympics
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:47:42 AM »
I'm looking forward to the Olympics and cheering on my country. However with how severe the threats have been I wouldn't want my child to go either.  I honestly wish that they would move it elsewhere. Like back to a country that has already held the Olympics and is prepared for it. Stupid people have to ruin it for everyone.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »
I blame the Olympic Committee if there is anyone hurt.
They've known this area to be dangerous for a long time,and I'm sure it could have been changed.
So what if they couldn't have been held on these particular dates...
Today I saw on the news that they couldn't even run the Olympic flag through the streets...it's like a war zone.

Offline Court

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
    • The Reality Buzz
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »
Quite honestly I think all countries should refuse to go. Putting everyone's lives on the line for a medal isn't worth it at the end of the day. This is supposed to be fun and competitive but fearing for the safety of the athletes isn't okay.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »
Quite honestly I think all countries should refuse to go. Putting everyone's lives on the line for a medal isn't worth it at the end of the day. This is supposed to be fun and competitive but fearing for the safety of the athletes isn't okay.
I know...I agree.

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »
Court and Bacali, I understand your sentiments and share them to some degree.  Terrorism has been a threat to every Olympic Games held since the horror of Munich.  In my view it's inevitable that another Olympics will be struck, it's just a question of when.  That said, the IOC should be more sensitive to the geopolitical situation in various venues and should select locations only where the risk of terrorism can be minimized.  Putin is a butcher and a thug whose tactics in Chechnya (indiscriminate rape, torture and murder of innocent civilians) fomented much of the terrorist threat we see today.  To reward a leader who oppresses his own people and who supports mass murder of civilians in Syria, a repressive regime in Iran, and various and sundry other "bad actors" around the world, makes me nauseous.

Offline bacali

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »
Court and Bacali, I understand your sentiments and share them to some degree.  Terrorism has been a threat to every Olympic Games held since the horror of Munich.  In my view it's inevitable that another Olympics will be struck, it's just a question of when.  That said, the IOC should be more sensitive to the geopolitical situation in various venues and should select locations only where the risk of terrorism can be minimized.  Putin is a butcher and a thug whose tactics in Chechnya (indiscriminate rape, torture and murder of innocent civilians) fomented much of the terrorist threat we see today.  To reward a leader who oppresses his own people and who supports mass murder of civilians in Syria, a repressive regime in Iran, and various and sundry other "bad actors" around the world, makes me nauseous.

I just wonder to what degree you don't agree with us, MP, since you said "some" degree.
You seem to say what we have.

Offline Merry Prankster

• Buzzified
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »

I should have said "I share them to a great degree."  I don't agree with the boycott because it will only embolden the terrorists.  I'd be glad to expand on my reason but I risk becoming tiresome and pedantic.

I just wonder to what degree you don't agree with us, MP, since you said "some" degree.
You seem to say what we have.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:08:59 AM »
I always look forward to the Olympics, especially the winter games. It is too bad that the shining, best parts of human athletic achievement, dedication, and training can be spoiled by such a small group of poisoned minds. Lets hope that all goes well. -Americanflag-

Offline trouble405

• Diamond Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
I cannot remember but was Putin in position when the games were awarded?  I believe they name these cities years ahead so countries can begin preparations. I think a boycott would make it worse as it would give the terrorists a victory. I have a couple relatives that have been olympic caliber atheletes - my cousin Karen - who is a rower and my brothers niece who missed the Greece olympics due to a serious injury and is a triathlete -- both said the would want to go regardless and think the athletes are safer than the public.

I pray everyone stays safe

Here's to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.

Offline ponytail

• Administrator
  • Buzzified
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »
Night Train ll--Go USA!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal